Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some support, feeling like a horrible nursing mommy.

Default I need some support, feeling like a horrible nursing mommy.

Well unfortunately I have a tooth in need of a root canal. It's friday and I will get the procedure done on Tuesday.

Wednesday morning I had to go in for emergency dental work because the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep or even think straight. I even called the dentist at 2 am b/c the pain was so bad and that is very unusual for me.

So they gave me a temp. filling and some pain meds. Unfortunately when I go off the pain meds the tooth pain returns excruciatingly therefore the need for the root canal.

So from last Wednesday until this Tuesday I'm on pain meds. Fluribprofen. Not only that but we called today to set up the root canal procedure and hubby asked if I might need antibiotics (because when they did the work he said I had just started to abscess but they did clean that out). So they prescribed me some clindamycin. That is L3. I don't know how comfortable I feel using something that is L3. Have you used it?

I feel so horrible pumping my LO with all these medicines. I have considered that the antibiotic might not be necessary. I don't know. My LO has never got a bottle before and I only have a small freezer stash that just may be tainted with thrush so I haven't been wanting to use it.

I'm so sad about all this. I don't want her to have to get all this meds through my milk
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default Re: I need some support, feeling like a horrible nursing mommy.

Well, there are plenty of pain relievers and abx that are ok to use while BF.

LactMed suggests these alternate abx to clindamycin:

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
    (Systemic infections) Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid, Doxycycline, Erythromycin, (Skin infections) Bacitracin, Mupirocin, (Acne) Azelaic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Erythromycin, Tretinoin
    I would call your dentist if you don't feel comfy with that one and have them prescribe you another.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I may do that. I'm highly allergic to penicillin though so I'd have to see if any of those alternatives are penicillin free, i know some of them aren't for sure. It looks like there is only one possibility (systemic infections) that might be pen. free.

ETA: looks like they all are penicillin
    Last edited by @llli*redpowerlady; May 20th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

I felt much the same way when my baby was born via c-section and I had all those pain killers running through my system since I had planned an all natural birth.

Have you asked if the medicine is OK to use while breastfeeding? If a Dr. has said it is OK don't feel bad. Remember that to be a good mother you must take care of yourself.

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan
    11/27/2009 ~ 7 lbs. 3 oz. ~ 20 & 1/2 inches

and and

we're almost to THREE YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    I may do that. I'm allergic to penicillin though so I'd have to see if any of those alternatives are penicillin free, i know some of them aren't for sure. It looks like there is only one possibility (systemic infections) that might be pen. free.
    I'm allergic too. I am trying to think of the abx that they put me on for general stuff....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Have you asked if the medicine is OK to use while breastfeeding?
    Ya the dentist and the pharmacist said it was okay but to watch baby for reactions.

I'm allergic too. I am trying to think of the abx that they put me on for general stuff.
    I think the only one I've had is clindamycin. Didn't even know there were others.

I have an email into hubby who is the one that talked to the pharmacist and doctor. I want to see if they just gave me the antibiotic b/c we asked or if they really think I need it. It's only four days of antibiotic use (4x a day though ) if I have to do it but I hate the thought of it. Argh!

don't feel bad. Remember that to be a good mother you must take care of yourself.
    I'm trying to remember this. Agh. I feel awful though.

Well I have a call into the Pedi to see what they think. If they think I should take it or call the dentist back for something else. Not sure how BF knowledgeable they are but if they say to take it that will make three health care providers telling me to try it out. Hubby thinks we should take it and just watch her for signs of diarrhea then stop if she shows signs.

Wondering about probiotics to avoid thrush?? Never taken them before.

Probiotics are helpful if you are taking antibiotics. I think you are supposed to wait a certain amount of time between doses of abx and probx, but it will say on the bottle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I'm allergic too. I am trying to think of the abx that they put me on for general stuff....
    I'm allergic to pen. and have taken Erythromycin with no problems. It's normally the first one to try with pen. allergy as it's also a broad spectrum antibiotic.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I'm allergic to pen. and have taken Erythromycin with no problems. It's normally the first one to try with pen. allergy as it's also a broad spectrum antibiotic.
    How did I miss that? Thank you! I'm going to call and see if I can get that instead. I could just give you giant hugs right now. I hope it will work!