Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: super hungry baby!!

Talking super hungry baby!!

My son is 4 months old is 18 pounds and seems very hungry. He feeds on demand which is fine during the day but at night he is hungry every 3 hours....people have told me he's waking out of habit but he drains me on both breasts before going back to sleep. I know it could be a growth spurt but he's been doing it for about 2 weeks now. Before bed tonight my husband gave him 8 ounces of milk to see if that keeps him satisfied for a while. Does anyone know how much on average your breasts feed baby at one nursing session?
    Is he too young for solids? Any advice for keeping him asleep longer? I've tried co-sleeping and it isn't for us, we swaddle him and he's not super fussy....just hungry.
    Any thoughts or advice would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

Default Re: super hungry baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fisher View Post
    My son is 4 months old is 18 pounds

He feeds on demand which is fine during the day but at night he is hungry every 3 hours....people have told me he's waking out of habit
    not true - he is either hungry or looking for comfort both valid reasons.
    Does anyone know how much on average your breasts feed baby at one nursing session?
    way less than 8oz but it depends on the amount of time between feedings. BF babies generally need about 1 to 1.5 oz per hour.
    Is he too young for solids?
    yes. the recommendation is 6 months because the intestines are not mature enough before then
    Any advice for keeping him asleep longer?
    look into "the no cry sleep solution" it has some good advice but really i think what you are going threw is totally normal and it does get better. 3 hour is actually pretty good. 5 to 6 hour is considered STTN. hang in there' sorry for typos
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thanks for the advice. I totally respect that co-sleeping is for some people, but it is not for me even if he is in his own space. What is best for our family is for my son to be in his own room.
    I'm not really bothered by his waking, I love nursing him at night, I was worried that I was causing him stress by putting him to bed early. Still figuring things out I guess!

Sixyearplan - That is so well worded
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.