Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pooped out?

Default Pooped out?

My 6wk old normally has the traditional seedy yellow poop, but in the last week i have noticed that it is sometimes green or brown. Sometimes w/mucous and or tiny flecks of blood. Should I worry? He is gaining well--birth 6#8 1mo 8#12 6wks 9#10. I only nurse him from one breast per feeding sometimes I nurse him on one breast for two feedings depending on supply. With my first child she sometimes had the same problem but I attributed it to an oversupply that I took a long time to correct. I was very careful this time but I'm just wondering if the blood should concern me and what I should do different?

Thanks.

Mother of Travis--6wks and Taylor 3yrs(breastfed for 15mo.)

Default Re: Pooped out?

personally, i'd be a bit concerned about the flecks of blood. i'd contact your pedi as soon as possible.

here's a previous thread about blood in poop...
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ght=blood+poop

hth!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I don't think blood in the stool is ever exactly _normal_. Small flecks may not signify anything serious, but it is worth discussing with your healthcare provider.

I understand that certain food sensitivies (to proteins passing through your milk) can cause mucous or blood in stools. You might consider posting this question on the Allergies forum for ideas and information.

--Rebecca

the only thing new in my diet this week was some wheat bread that I bought ....trying to think of anything else new. I've been eating milk, cheese, peanut butter daily now since he was born....just wondering why he might have the reaction now at almost 7wks.? He has also had mild nasal congestion since he was 5 days old...no other symptoms. bFs well. I have to suction/saline daily. MD says just a cold...but for this long?? What else could be causing this congestion?

The chronic nasal congestion sounds like another allergy symptom to me. But I really don't know that much about this topic, so I suggest you visit the Allergies forum so you can get better information and help in diagnosing what is going on.

http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37

--Rebecca