Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yeast Nipple Cream

Default Yeast Nipple Cream

Hi

I have been given Nystatin 100, 000IU to be applied after each pumping on my nipples (my dd has thrush and since its not getting any better we're thinking may be she is getting reinfected by me, although i am not sure if i even have it as i have no symtoms). Anyway, my question is, I apply the nipple cream after pumping but when its time for next pumping I wash it off with soap but i am worried about it getting into the milk and hence my baby.

Can anyone else who has been treated for nipple yeast and given this treatment comment on this.

Thank you so much.
    Nitu

Default Re: Yeast Nipple Cream

I had been prescribed nystatin cream with my first daughter and they said I could just nurse her, that the medicine wouldn't hurt her...I didn't have to wash it off before nursing?? That was over 6 years ago...could've changed...
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Yep, Jenne is correct. You don't need to wash it off ... doing so will just cause your nipples more pain and irritation (which is exactly what a poor mom with thrush doesn't need!). And it actually will help get rid of any (or prevent) infection in your baby if they ingest it. The Nystatin is actually prescribed to infants in mother/baby dyads that are infected. Is your baby being treated for thrush too? It's very important that both of you are treated at the same time ... even if one is not showing symptoms. Otherwise you will indeed find that you will just keep passing it back and forth and getting re-infected.

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

The cream i've been given is the same one i use for her yeast diaper. It has other ingredients in it, are these not harmful?

My doctor told me that it is ok to use over the counter Lotrimin (clotrimazole) on nipples and nurse without wiping it off (although I know other doctors suggest washing it off). Is this the cream you are using? If you are worried about the other ingredients in it, the doctor can prescribe the same antifungal ingredient that the pharmacy can then mix into a gel ointment and it won't have the other things in it that might be in an over the counter (like moisurizers or additives or something). It is ok for the baby to ingest the little bit of antifungal that would be on the nipples (it is also a possible prescription treatment for the baby in place of nystatin).

I don't have lotrimin, i have the Ratio-Nystatin 100 000 units/g. The inactive ingredients are emulsifying wax, glycerin, isopropyl myristate, lactic acid, water and sorbic acid. I worry about these ingredients! Has anyone else used this particular cream and not wash off? I also wash the nipple after pumping with water/vinegar solution so i have to rinse that off but the cream needs soap to get it all off.

Quote Originally Posted by nitu View Post
    I don't have lotrimin, i have the Ratio-Nystatin 100 000 units/g. The inactive ingredients are emulsifying wax, glycerin, isopropyl myristate, lactic acid, water and sorbic acid. I worry about these ingredients! Has anyone else used this particular cream and not wash off? I also wash the nipple after pumping with water/vinegar solution so i have to rinse that off but the cream needs soap to get it all off.
    Ouch! I definitely wouldn't be using soap every time to wash it off. If you aren't nursing, just pumping, I believe you don't need to rinse it off at all. Most will be absorbed into the skin by the next pumping anyway. The Ratio-Nystatin is actually a suspension (from what I read on line ... correct me if I'm wrong) that is designed firstly to be taken orally. Many times moms will be prescribed a Nystatin form that they spread on their nipples and give to the baby orally. What did your doctor say about washing it off?

If you are still concerned about that particular cream, maybe ask for a prescription for Dr. Jack Newman's Nipple Ointment ... which works magic on thrush for many moms (including me, and I had thrush for 3 months before getting the ointment). And you do not need to wash it off at all (see link).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon