Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rolling Over

Default Rolling Over

Hi

At what age should babies be rolling over? Mine will be 4mth on oct 13th and makes no attempt to roll over. She hates being on her belly as well. She loves to sit up in her rocking chair or in our lap. Should i be worried?

Nitu

Default Re: Rolling Over

I have 2 very different children- my son, who's now 6, hated being on his tummy-didn't roll over till he was around 5-6 months. My daughter, who's now 7 months, started rolling over at 4 months-she's early with everything!!! So, there's a pretty wide range of when babies do things, and I'd not be worried at all at this point.

Jenn

i agree with jenn...every baby is different. my dd was 4 months when she started rolling over (just to one side though)...she's 4.5 months now. she still doesn't roll over consistently over to her left side, though she rolls over to her right side like a champ. give your dd some time...she'll eventually roll over!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I'm just going to echo what everyone else has said... My dd rolled over very, very early, and she did it all the time. She started that when she was two months old. But, just because she rolled early hasn't translated into reaching each milestone early. She's six months tomorrow and cannot sit unassisted yet. They'll develop at their own pace. Don't worry about it!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

My baby is an over-acheiver. She rolls to her side already at 4 weeks old. She likes to sleep on her side, so I got her one of those sleep positioners. Lately, she's been scooting out of it by going up rather than to the side and then rolling over from her side to her belly! She doesn't usually get all the way on her belly though.

One thing I want to add...most babies do hate tummy time. But you should still do it everyday even if it's only a couple of minutes because you can do ANY of it, Rolling, crawling or push into sitting postion on own w/out that upper body strength. They all hate it. They still need it. Often it's how they learn to roll. To get off their tummies.

I can't remember exactly when dd started rolling over, but it wasn't early, by any means...maybe 4 or 5 months. She first started rolling from her tummy to her back...because she hated tummy time! And when she got it figured out she wouldn't stay on her tummy for a second. But then she started rolling to her side and eventually to her tummy and once she got it figured out she rolled everywhere and loved it. I wouldn't worry too much yet, that's for sure! But like DJ's Mom said, you shoudl encourage tummy time, even if it is hated, even if its just for a few seconds/minutes here and there throughout the day, especially now that we are told to put babies to sleep on their backs. When I was a baby, the opposite was true so we got lots of tummy time right after we woke up from sleeping, on our tummies.

And you will be surprised at how fast they really start rolling over constantly, once they get the hang of it!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

She hates tummy time but lately if i prop her up using something then she doesn't mind so much. I also lay her on my chest and she lifts her head and shoulders then as well.

How old do they have to be to do tummy time?