Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Relactation Story

Default Re: My Relactation Story

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ktassoul View Post
    Thank you. This helps me. I am trying to relactate but my son is 3 months old. I never got dry completly but was starting to wonder if i should give up
    Hi Im so glad you found my story helpful. That is why I wrote it. how is relactation going now?
    Momma of 2 precious boys

ten yr old and 4 mth old born at 33 weeks
    born at 7 lbs 15 0z and 5 lbs 3 oz -

"Before you were conceived we wanted you. Before you were born we loved you. Before you were here an hour we would give our lives for you. This is the miracle of life"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*misskittie2 View Post
    Wow, what an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it, my heart became so full reading it you are a super mama. I really like the spelling of your lo's name.
    Thks misskittie!
    Momma of 2 precious boys

"Before you were conceived we wanted you. Before you were born we loved you. Before you were here an hour we would give our lives for you. This is the miracle of life"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLAlene View Post
    Thank you for sharing your story. It is most definately inspirational to mother's who are consider relactaion or struggling with it. You have been fortunate to have had wonderful supportive help but you and your son are the true heros for making it happen.

Enjoy nursing!!!
    Thanks so much Alene!
    Momma of 2 precious boys

This is very inspiring. I am in the process of relactating to be able to exclusively breastfeed my twins again. I only just begun and dried up completely as well so I know that I have a journey ahead of me but I am soooo ready to get my milk supply back and to be able to breastfeed my babies exclusively. I have brought the Fenugreek and started taking it 2 days ago. I am also going to see about getting on the Domperidone, if my ob. will write me a script for this. I am not pumping but I am starting to put them back to breast as often as I can. My twins are 2 months old right now and were in the NICU as well, for 18 days, so I truly understand where you are coming from when you speak about your LO and the NICU experience. I was so exhausted and that is originally one of the things that caused me to slow down and stop pumping altogether. Then when they got home they were not latching on well so I got very discouraged and just gave up and felt like a failure until I began researching breastfeeding and found out that I can get my milk supply back. Anyway, to make a long story short, I decided that since reestablishing my supply is a possiblity, well then I want my milk back! I am so happy for you and your LO. You are truly an inspiration to me !

i'm in tears right now at the lack of a bf relationship with my oldest... i had a reduction done years before and was told i would never bf. then when andy was born and my milk came in... well... i struggled with the idea of bf. by the time i decided i wanted to, it had been nearly two months. i had NO IDEA that there was such a thing as relactation. so i never tried. =( thank you for sharing your beautiful story... i only wish someone had told me. on the bright side, i have, with varying success, bf my two youngest. i'm now well on my way to exclusively bfing! i'm so grateful to this forum! support, dedication, and knowledge are truly the things that make or break these beautiful relationships. thank you again! i'm certain your words have helped someone else!
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

Awesome and Inspiring Story! TFS
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Kellybell, I am really happy for you and your baby! I am sure that your story will help provide both encouragement and practical information for many moms facing the same challenge!

I am an adoptive mom of six kids, whom I nursed for a total of about ten years, through a wide variety of circumstances. I just wrote a long post, and then my server died for a few minutes and lost it, so I will try to briefly repeat some of it. The most important thing I can think of that I might add to this discussion is that there is a supplementer that tends to be much more successful and that is the Lact-Aid. There are reasons that the SNS is easier for use in hospital, with the help of a LC, but the Lact-Aid is really much more helpful for moms to use, on their own. For one thing, the tube is less noticeable to the baby. It is also easier and faster to put on and get ready to nurse with. Those are just a couple. Relactating moms tend to be able to get their milk supplies going faster than most adoptive moms, and more can do without supplementing at the breast, but the Lact-Aid can be very helpful, for relactating moms, too. For example, for someone whose baby isn't interested in suckling without a good flow of milk coming from the breast, it can be especially helpful. It also helps make better use of your time because you can feed the baby and have your breasts stimulated at the same time, which is especially helpful if you still have quite a way to go on your milk supply.

I have found that it is best to avoid problems with it than to try to fix them, later, so I have a few suggestions for starting out with the Lact-Aid. First, find a time to start learning to use it when you can concentrate on it. Figure out how to get it filled and put together. Next, get your pump out and try it out with that. Then, try to find a time to try it out with your baby when you think he will be interested in sucking, but is not overly hungry. Have a bottle ready, too. If things start to get frustrating, you can just go ahead and feed him/her as you have been and try again later. A negative experience at the breast can set you back, so it is best to do what you can to avoid it, in the first place. It can be helpful to tape the tube to your breast, at first, but it is usually not necessary to do it after a short time. A bra that has a frame that goes all the way around the breast, with a flap that detaches from the top of it, is helpful because you can stick the tube under the top of the frame and that will help you keep track of it.

I remember a friend of mine once saying that she would be willing to move Heaven and Earth for the privilege of breastfeeding another baby. That is how I felt! I went to a great deal of effort to nurse mine. I did not have domperidone with any of them. I didn't know about using herbs or have a decent pump, with my first four kids. I had tons of nipple problems, and had to overcome nipple confusion and even antisocial behaviors and initial rejection (of me), with my fourth child, who was six months old when we got her. But the relationship we had was worth every minute! I could sure see the benefit of having them get both breast milk and formula, rather than formula alone, too.

One last thing. I think one of my articles for New Beginnings is still posted on this site; the one about my daughter, Julia. There is a change that an editor made on that which I object to. I had said, regarding my first three children, that they had not all gotten much milk. The editor took out the all. I was referring to the fact that I only succeeded in nursing my first two, born in 1983 and 1986, for comfort, for a short time, because I lacked information, support, and self-confidence. I didn't think those two got much milk. My third baby, however, got a significant amount of breast milk from me, and didn't wean completely until he was well beyond infancy. But, with the statement changed like that, it made it sound like I didn't produce much milk for any of them. I wrote the article to try to encourage other moms, and I think it is less effective if it suggests that I didn't even produce milk for the one I nursed for so long!

Well, I apologize that even the one that I tried to keep brief is long, but I hope it might help someone!

Happy Nurturing!

darillyn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darillyn View Post
    Kellybell, I am really happy for you and your baby! I am sure that your story will help provide both encouragement and practical information for many moms facing the same challenge!

I am an adoptive mom of six kids, whom I nursed for a total of about ten years, through a wide variety of circumstances. I just wrote a long post, and then my server died for a few minutes and lost it, so I will try to briefly repeat some of it. The most important thing I can think of that I might add to this discussion is that there is a supplementer that tends to be much more successful and that is the Lact-Aid. There are reasons that the SNS is easier for use in hospital, with the help of a LC, but the Lact-Aid is really much more helpful for moms to use, on their own. For one thing, the tube is less noticeable to the baby. It is also easier and faster to put on and get ready to nurse with. Those are just a couple. Relactating moms tend to be able to get their milk supplies going faster than most adoptive moms, and more can do without supplementing at the breast, but the Lact-Aid can be very helpful, for relactating moms, too. For example, for someone whose baby isn't interested in suckling without a good flow of milk coming from the breast, it can be especially helpful. It also helps make better use of your time because you can feed the baby and have your breasts stimulated at the same time, which is especially helpful if you still have quite a way to go on your milk supply.

I have found that it is best to avoid problems with it than to try to fix them, later, so I have a few suggestions for starting out with the Lact-Aid. First, find a time to start learning to use it when you can concentrate on it. Figure out how to get it filled and put together. Next, get your pump out and try it out with that. Then, try to find a time to try it out with your baby when you think he will be interested in sucking, but is not overly hungry. Have a bottle ready, too. If things start to get frustrating, you can just go ahead and feed him/her as you have been and try again later. A negative experience at the breast can set you back, so it is best to do what you can to avoid it, in the first place. It can be helpful to tape the tube to your breast, at first, but it is usually not necessary to do it after a short time. A bra that has a frame that goes all the way around the breast, with a flap that detaches from the top of it, is helpful because you can stick the tube under the top of the frame and that will help you keep track of it.

I remember a friend of mine once saying that she would be willing to move Heaven and Earth for the privilege of breastfeeding another baby. That is how I felt! I went to a great deal of effort to nurse mine. I did not have domperidone with any of them. I didn't know about using herbs or have a decent pump, with my first four kids. I had tons of nipple problems, and had to overcome nipple confusion and even antisocial behaviors and initial rejection (of me), with my fourth child, who was six months old when we got her. But the relationship we had was worth every minute! I could sure see the benefit of having them get both breast milk and formula, rather than formula alone, too.

One last thing. I think one of my articles for New Beginnings is still posted on this site; the one about my daughter, Julia. There is a change that an editor made on that which I object to. I had said, regarding my first three children, that they had not all gotten much milk. The editor took out the all. I was referring to the fact that I only succeeded in nursing my first two, born in 1983 and 1986, for comfort, for a short time, because I lacked information, support, and self-confidence. I didn't think those two got much milk. My third baby, however, got a significant amount of breast milk from me, and didn't wean completely until he was well beyond infancy. But, with the statement changed like that, it made it sound like I didn't produce much milk for any of them. I wrote the article to try to encourage other moms, and I think it is less effective if it suggests that I didn't even produce milk for the one I nursed for so long!

Well, I apologize that even the one that I tried to keep brief is long, but I hope it might help someone!

Happy Nurturing!

darillyn
    Wow this has really moved me as well as the original posters story!! I feel like that too, I would move Heaven and Earth to get to nurse my baby boy(11 months old now) again. I have pondered with the idea of relactation but feel it's gonna be a waste. I am not fond of taking medicine but I am taking Blessed Thistle and Gaia Herbs(has fenugreek and several other herbs) for lactation support. Reading all of these stories makes me smile. I was thinking of getting the Lactaid but am really hiding all of this from everyone and I feel embarrassed to even mention it for lack of getting rejected by my son and not wanting to try to suckle. I should've never stopped breastfeeding to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darillyn View Post
    A bra that has a frame that goes all the way around the breast, with a flap that detaches from the top of it, is helpful because you can stick the tube under the top of the frame and that will help you keep track of it.
    I wish I would have thought of this when I was using the SNS!! I never did get my hands on a Lact-Aid because the SNS eventually worked for me...but I was forever struggling with keeping the tube in place. Great idea.

And to the original author of this thread... thanks for sharing your inspirational story. Human perseverance + miraculous human body = limitless potential!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :