Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Homemade Puree Question

Default Homemade Puree Question

I just bought fruit and veggies to make my first purees. For those of you that make your own, how much do you make at one time to freeze?

I'm just don't know how much everything will yeild and how much she'll eat within the recommended 2 month expiration date.

Thanks!
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Default Re: Homemade Puree Question

I always figured if I wouldn't want to eat it then it wasn't as fresh as baby would like.

What sorts of fruits and veggies did you get?

I don't think my last child ate more then 1 tablespoon of food a day untill she was older then 1....but they are all diffent, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I always figured if I wouldn't want to eat it then it wasn't as fresh as baby would like.

What sorts of fruits and veggies did you get?

I don't think my last child ate more then 1 tablespoon of food a day untill she was older then 1....but they are all diffent, thats for sure.
    She seems to like solids so far. I've been buying the jar stuff so far, about 2 tablespoons per feeding.

I bought sweet potatoes, butternut squash, avacadoes, green beans, and frozen organtic peas.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

yummy...
    Cook thoose and see how much she eats.
    and you can always make a good soup for you if she's not eating all of it.

I would make a bunch all in one day. I don't think I ever followed the 2 month rule.

Here is about the amount that I would make each batch: 2 - 3 large sweet potatos, 1 butternut squash, about 2 large handfuls of green beans, and a couple cups of peas. My biggest problem was having enough containers.

I never froze avacado. I just bought about 2 -3 each week and would cut them as I used them. I always mixed them with bananas for my boys.

I also bought a jar of powder/crystal vitamin C. After I purreed the food, I added a small amount ~ maybe 1 teaspoon~ to the purree, then mixed it up again. The vitamin C keeps the purree from turning brown -especially avacados, pears, and bananas. We did this will the stuff that I made daily as well. Just make sure you don't put too much in, or it can make it taste sour/lemony!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

I made the mistake of freezing too much at once. Keep it small in the first while. For example, bake sweet potatoes, and only puree one small one for baby food to freeze. Freeze it in small batches - ice cube trays, or the smallest jars (2.5oz?), otherwise it's really hard to use up a thawed bit before it's been in the fridge too long. I went more for variety (once he was having more than one thing at a meal) than volume, so it really can take a while to use up one particular thawed cube/jar.

I always find I wish I had freezed (frozen?) more. We dont' have a ton of freezer space. I freeze in four ounce canning jars, and after I thaw it, I try to use it within 3 days (assuming I froze it right away).

I really like this site

I must say, though that this time around I'm doing much more of a babyled solids approach. It works well just to give her the same cooked veggies we are eating...but I also do my own purees as well.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks everyone! So I've finished 4 sweet potatoes, .5 lbs green beans, 1 butternut squash and 2 avacados. Grand total yield for everything was around 57.5 ounces or 6 ice cube trays.

Next time I would buy a smaller squash, that was 2 trays alone. And 3 sweet potatoes instead of 4. It was really fun making the purees. Everything smelled so good and it felt good to be putting the time into feeding my DD the best. I hope I can keep it up.

Thanks for the tip on the vitamin C. I'll try that when I get to more fruits.