Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to introduce cherios?

Default when to introduce cherios?

dd has been eating solids for about 1.5 months now. When can we start to give her things like cherios? She is almost 7 months old....

Default Re: when to introduce cherios?

I think I gave mine Cheerios at about that age, probably even a little earlier with my two younger boys. I'm not sure about the "rules" for finger foods for infants, but I think if they're able to sit up and have the coordination to pick up the cereal, it's okay. My youngest doesn't really care for them - does your baby show an interest in finger food?

I started ds around 8 months, I have friends who start earlier. At first I would eat half of the cheerio and give ds the other half, now at 9 mo, I give him the whole thing. He more so just throws them around bc he is not good at picking little pieces up.

If she is ready for them, go ahead. However, Cheerios contain wheat so hold of if there is a family history of allergies. (I think that kellymom.com has a "when to offer wheat" guideline.) We are trying to avoid wheat until later, so my 8 month old has been dining on whole grain puffed rice for about about a month and a half. You can also try little bits of bananas and avacado.

Generally, they should be started once baby has developed the pincer grasp and is munching on lumpier foods. My 9 mo old just started them (again) because when we tried them at 8 months his gag reflex was still too strong. Some say that the baby should be crawling with his tummy off the ground, but since my ds doesn't crawl yet (but loves to cruise!) and my ped says that crawling isn't a developmental milestone, I'm not sure that is a fair guideline to use.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Did you realize Alphabits has gone to no sugar?
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Ds started eating Cheerios at 6 mo. He didn't choke, and really enjoyed them. He enjoyed feeding himself.

Obviously, every baby is different. Some won't want anything to do with finger foods until much later, and that's fine too.

One thing to remember is that Cheerios have wheat in them, so if you are worried about food alergies, you may want to hold off on them for that reason alone.