Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One breast producing less milk?? Is this possible?

Default One breast producing less milk?? Is this possible?

I didn't find any other threads on this, so sorry if it is a repeat. I know that you can't really know for sure how much milk your really producing but I am pretty sure that my right breast is falling behind. My dd has recently started nursing from both sides during a feeding. I always start with the breast I finished with to ensure that she gets the hindmilk. She unlatches when she is ready to switch sides, and often I will put her back on to make sure that she is actually done with one side. It has been taking her much less time to drain the right breast so at first I thought that maybe it just flowed a little faster. But for the past couple of days, she does not seem satisfied until she's been on my left breast twice at least. She is not acting like she prefers one breast over the other. I don't know if this is a growth spurt or if my right breast just isn't producing as much. I have not been able to pump much from that side but that is not saying much as pumping doesn't always work well for me (it's a manual). Any common experiences or suggestions??

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Default Re: One breast producing less milk?? Is this possible?

Very common. Totally normal. We all generally have one side that makes more and that genreally is the favorite side because thre's less work involved in getting the milk out of the fuller side. Also sometime babies have a way to latch that they prefer...which is hard to do on the other side the other way. Does that make sense. I found that the way to solve that problem was w/ the football hold. It put the baby in the postion he prefered to be in on his favorite side on the other side w/out him having to change his postion at all.

As far as the one side making more, while it will always happen naturally to a degree, you can control it some w/ supply and demand. You just said that because of this your now feeding your baby on the side tha makes MORE milk to begin w/TWICE at each feed. This will only exaserbate the problem and many will tell you...your boobs can actually get to be two different cup sizes!! So feed more often on the lighter side not the other way around. Start on that side, let her go to the fuller side and if she needs to eat a third time put her back on the light side so it sends the signal to MAKE MORE MILK!
    HTH

I had this problem from day one. I actually did have a difference in my cup sizes, but I did what the PP said about starting off on the breast that was producing less and it worked very well. I still have to watch it particularly when my DS is going through a growth spurt, but try that and see how it goes.

yeah I am having same problem too, left is producing less milk than the right breast. In fact my right breast is bigger than the left breast.

I still bf ds, hopefully will balance up both side.

Nicole

I actually feed my baby all on one breast each feeding, but she usually only eats for 10 to 15 minutes. My breasts are pretty even. I have OALD though and she can get 4 to 6 oz of milk within 15 minutes. (I know this because I started pumping and that's how much I get pumping.) If I tried to put her on the other breast after 10 minutes on one, she wouldn't take it! I've done it before! And I think she'd have to eat on one breast for 30 minutes to completely drain it!

I too have this problem, only mine are not equalling out. I always start her on the "useless", as I call it, side and then switch to the fuller side when she starts fighting with the smaller breast. I also just started back at work and am pumping 3 times a day, I get 1.5 -2 ounces from my left and 5-6 ounces from my right each time. My lopsidedness has been going on for about a month and a half. It's just a fact of life and I have stopped worrying about it. If your sweetie is getting enough and it sounds like she is, don't worry too heavily, like I was told, it's more a cosmetic issue than anything. Hopefully switching your lead side will help you, just don't worry if it doesn't change.

Unhappy Re: One breast producing less milk?? Is this possible?

I have a concern, since you said that you only make a smaller amount on one than the other. The difference is that I make only 1oz on one and no more than 2oz on the other every two hrs. And I still think I don't make enough to fill my baby. He is 3mths old and I'm concerned. How can I get to produce more. I'm a FTM BF and Pumping how can I get to make more milk??? I just started to drink Mother's Milk Tea in hopes that this helps.

When I was home with McKenzie I would only pump once in the morning, that's when you have the best production, about an hour after I fed her. At that time, because I was demand feeding her, I would only get about 3-4 ounces total between the two. Now that I am at work and pump more than I feed her, I pump when I wake up and then 3 times at work, and I get 2 ounces from the smaller and 4-5 from the other each time, then when we get home from work and daycare and until she goes to bed for the night, I bf and do not pump. I think you will always have a smaller amount of milk when you pump if you are doing both all day. Are you waiting at least an hour after you feed before you pump? What is your reason for pumping and feeding? Are you pumping to stock for when you are not with your little one? It sounds to me like you are doing great. What does your pediatrician say about your little one's weight? If his weight gain isn't a concern then you are doing fine. I really don't know much about the supplements, like mothers milk tea, from a personal stand, but I have read and have been told my others that it has worked for them. I'm afraid that it will increase production, which is good, but won't help to equal out the size. I don't need the bigger one getting any bigger!
    Try not to let it worry you too much, I know that's hard, but you are doing a great job!!

Unhappy Re: One breast producing less milk?? Is this possible?

I pump because I work full time, but I bf before I leave and it's about another 2.5 hrs before I get to pump when I get to work. Then after that I try to pump 3 times at work and only get btwn 3-4oz each pumping session. When I get home I bf him and then try to pump one more time to at least leave 4 bottles of 4oz of bm for the next day. It just seems that my grandmother feeds him 5 bottles sometimes and out of the 5 bottles 1 is always formula because she thinks his crys always means he is hungry. I find it to be alot of milk for the time that he is home with her. He has been gaining a good amount of weight and he has sufficient wet diapers which is an indication that he gets enought but she makes me feel like what I leave her is not enough that the bm is not filling like the formula. Am I wrong by making her wait every 3hrs? I know I told her he does not have a set time to eat but bc she is feed what I believe is too much I have to give her a set time to control it.

I know he is getting too much because when I get home he looks laxed in a daze. He only looks like that when he is very full and tired. I don't know what to do because I feel that when I'm home with him on the weekends he is going to expect more than what I give him.

I really know what you ae going through!! It is very fortunate for you that you have family to help watch your little guy, however it sounds like she is relying on her "old school" ways to feed him. I just started daycare and have been having a time with getting the feedings right also. They where not feeding her enough, in my opinion. My "little" girl is also, about, 3 months and weighs roughly 16 pounds. She was big when she was born and I finally got daycare to feed her 4 times, 4 oz. bottles. She is happy and not starving when I pick her up. Our day goes like this.. she wakes at 5 or 6 am and eats, then gets to daycare about 7:15, my husband takes her because my job is farther away. I pump at sometime before I leave the house at 7 am. We tell daycare to feed her at 2 bottles in the am and 2 bottles in the pm roughly 2 hours apart and this depends on when she decides to take her naps, so this is not a strict rule just a general guideline. I pump at 9, 12 and 3 when I am at work. I also tell daycare not to feed her after 4 so that when I get home with her, around 6pm, I can feed her then and every 2 hours after that, if not then I have to pump when I get home because she is full. I finally got daycare to adhere to this schedule on friday and it worked great. If your grandmother is feeding him shortly before you get home, then he will be happy and you will have to pump also. I am sure it is hard, but you may have to be really strict with her on when the feedings are, especially when the last one is. The main thing you want to do is only bf when you are home with him, except for the morning. That way your body will be able to regulate how much it needs to make. In other words, right now your body nows that he only needs 4 ounces each time, as he grows and needs more, your body will recognize this and produce more. When I first started pumping, my "useless" breast would only give me about half an ounce now it is giving me about 2 ounces. I think your feelings of him only needing the 4 bottles is correct, you just need to convince your grandmother of this. It is hard, I am sure she is remembering how it was when she raised her kids, but things have changed drastically since then. Stay with your gut feelings, he is your child and you know best. It felt hard to make a schedule for my little girl, because I always want her to be happy, but I think a general schedule as a guideline will work, then on the days you don't work you can spoil him all you want and feed him all you want!!