Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: allergic to sweet potatoes?

Default allergic to sweet potatoes?

I started T on solids this past week. First he had avocado and absolutely loved it I waited 5 days before intoducing the next food, sweet potatoes. I gave some to him yesterday. He was a little more cranky yesterday but he barely napped, but he slept from 7-7.
    Today he was fine up til about an hour ago. He's been crying on and off. I got him to nurse and now he's currently sleeping on me.
    I'm hesitant to give him sweet potato again if this is an allergic reaction.

thanks!!
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Default Re: allergic to sweet potatoes?

It sounds like a coincidence to me, not an allergic reaction. At most, it might be his little system adjusting to digesting anything other than breastmilk. If he was vomiting, had hives, or bloody stools, I would definitely say big red flag, but random fussiness isn't usually linked to an allergic reaction.

That being said, if it makes you uncomfortable to do sweet potatoes, no harm in trying something else and then revisiting later

Glad to know its most likely not an allergic reaction. Thats a huge sigh of relief

I thought it was just because of his lack of naps that was causing his fussiness and also possible teething, but I didnt want to take any chances.

Happy Mother's Day too
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

I agree that it isn't an allergic reaction. My little guy gets fussy with things he has a harder time digesting or even with a fruit that is to acidic. They can have sensitive little stomaches at this age. Try again in a month or two. It is great that you are introducing new foods days apart to look for reactions. When my DS reacted to green beans, I knew right away what caused the hives and vomiting. We have quite a few allergies and the allergy forum here is very helpful. Good Luck!

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang