Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk allergy or conicidence?

Default milk allergy or conicidence?

My DD is 13 months old. She is below the charts so very tiny. Drs tell me to give her whole milk products to help her grow. I know its a corck, but I have tried Yo baby yogurt with her and both times she has had diarreah, which SMELLED like the yogurt! I know, gross! But is that an allergy to milk?

One other time I made her eggs with milk, and she threw up a few hours later.

Do I assume she has a milk allergy? I dont want to give her yogurt again, isnt having diarreah defeating the purpose of giving her the whole milk product?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Exclamation Re: milk allergy or conicidence?

It doesn't sound like an allergy, as allergies cause rashes, hives, etc., but it could be an intolerance. Did you give her yogurt with only milk in it, or was there other ingredients such as pectin (apples) or fruits (berries are high allergen/intolerance)? Eggs are a huge allergen/intolerance, so that could be a problem also.

You may be dealing with MSPI, but probably not an allergy. It's very confusing, I know! Good news, you're not alone! My son has severe MSPI (Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance). We have to trial every food he eats b/c he has reactions to a lot of them (rashes, pimples, angry crying, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.). For more info, check out: http://mspimama.blogspot.com/search/label/FAQs

The way most MSPI kids are trialed is mom introduces a new food for 4-7 days, and if there's a reaction (like I mentioned above), you cut it out and give the gut 2 weeks to heal. You can then re-introduce (if you're not sure) or stop feeding it. PLEASE NOTE, if your ped said to give your baby milk, you need to call and tell them you think there's a problem and tell them you want an alternative.

If it was me (and I've done this a few dozen times), (BE SURE TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR what I'm about to suggest and make sure it's okay) I'd STOP any foods that could be causing reactions for 2 weeks so the tummy and gut can heal. That includes the yogurt, milk and eggs. After 2 weeks, I'd carefully introduce whole milk. Hormones and chemicals can cause problems, so I personally would introduce an organic milk (my son doesn't even do milk yet--that's how bad his problems are). If there's no problems for 4 days to a week, I'd say it's fine. If she has diarrhea or other reactions, I'd call the doctor and tell them I need an alternative, then trial that one in also. My son drinks rice milk and takes a prescription vitamin.

I do hope this helps. The link above is amazing. There's a way to contact the author of the blog, and you can also contact me through this site. Best of luck!!!!

Default Re: milk allergy or conicidence?

she did have angry crying that day, and today she has a rash on her bottom thats red and white pimples on it. She never had a rash like that before! I stopped the yogurt after the 2nd diarreah that was yestrday, could the rash stil be from that?

she also ate the butter off of a roll yesterday afternoon.

I will look into that link, thanks for any info!
    Last edited by @llli*dara; May 8th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Mommy of 4,

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I must say that breastfed baby poop is often described as smelling like yogurt. But, I'll take your word for it, that it was even more yogurty. I agree, it may be an intolerance. Does she eat cheese? Cheese and yogurt would be along the same lines, as in, both should be able to be eaten if it is an allergy to the milk protein. If she's lactose intolerant, cheese would also not set well...

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

no, lately her poop has been SILOD cause she is on iron suppliments, it is usually BLACK (she eats black beans daily) and a solid ball. She hasnt har loos poop in months, and this was beyond loose, it was watery!

she dosent eat cheese. The only cows milk product she has is yogurt and she has had a few spoons of pudding in the past. BUt the yogurt was the most she has eaten. The first night she ate more then half the container, the next day she ate almost half, both times she had the diarreah.
    Mommy of 4,