Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm nervous!!! Is she going to be fine??

Default I'm nervous!!! Is she going to be fine??

So... long story short, today's the second day we do BLS. We all sat down for dinner and she munched HAPPILY on a broccoli for a LONG time, then moved on to the broiled chicken chunk. After a while I saw she had managed to bite off a piece which both DH and I were SURE she would either gag on or spit out. (She doesn't have teeth yet but her two bottom ones are cutting, the edges are past the gum). A few minutes later she opened her mouth and the piece was there. A few more minutes and she opened her mouth again and... it was GONE!!! OMG!! She didn't even gag or anything, she just swallowed it. Now I'm REALLY wondering if her stomach is going to be fine digesting that big piece of chicken?? Did any of you BLW mamas have a similar experience?? Is she going to be fine? I'm so nervous about tonight!

Sorry DD will be 7 months in a week. I keep forgetting her age when posting on here.
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; May 7th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Default Re: I'm nervous!!! Is she going to be fine??

Hi Mama-do you mean BLS (baby led solids)? BLW is usually Baby led weaning.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes that's what I mean. I do prefer the term BLS but I'm reading Baby-led Weaning by Gill Rapley ya know it just came out naturally when I was typing

have you seen this thread
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=17592

I didn't do BLS so I don't know (other than yes I think she'll be fine) GL mama
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

In the first couple of months, my little one didn't really digest much of what she swallowed. It all came out the other end recognizable, even when smooshed up - I think she will be fine. If it was small enough of a piece for her to swallow, it should be small enough for her to pass to the other side.

And enjoy, we are almost six months in and it has been a lot of fun doing it the BLW* way.

(*I am calling it by that term because that is how it is phrased in the literature and online groups people need to search to find info. I know some here seem to dislike the term because it says "weaning", but it makes it easier to find support info if you keep the terminology consistent.)
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

she'll be fine. I swear when we started everything came out just as it went in
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks everyone! She did seem to be fine - no fussier than she generally is

Might be a little fussy / have a hard time pooping - but TOTALLY normal early on to have big chunks of recognizable food in poops.

I just changed one of those diapers this morning where it looked like baby had swallowed EVERYTHING whole at dinner the night before.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Im really glad I read this. The food that T has been eating comes out and I know exactly what it is and I freaked out that he wasn't ready. Glad to know its all normal
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Might be a little fussy / have a hard time pooping - but TOTALLY normal early on to have big chunks of recognizable food in poops.
    Today her poop has bits from those broccoli florets she was munching on yesterday . She seems to really like broccoli.

Speaking of broccoli, I remember it and some other veggies such as bell peppers are said to make nursing babies gassy when mother eats them. So do they also make them gassy if they eat them?