Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 wk old suddenly won't take expressed milk from bottle

Default 15 wk old suddenly won't take expressed milk from bottle

My DD, who is 15 wks old, has been breastfed exclusively since birth. Although, from the first week, my DH has been feeding her one bottle of expressed milk a night in the middle of the night. Then about 3 wks ago, DD started sleeping 6 hr stretches at night, waking up in the AM and refusing the bottle and only wanting the breast. Around the same time she did still take milk from a bottle in the middle of the day when I started attending dance rehearsal again. Now, she won't even take that. She will only feed from from the breast. DH can sometimes get .5 oz in her before she starts crying and spitting out the nipple. If he keeps trying on and off for 1 1/2 hrs, he sometimes can get a couple of ozs in her, but even then sometimes he can't.
    Has anyone had this problem? Any solutions? I just need her to take one bottle of expressed milk a day, a few days per week. But even that is starting to be difficult at best and impossible at worst.

Default Re: 15 wk old suddenly won't take expressed milk from bottle

Yes. Just keep trying different nipples. If all else fails, you could use a syringe or spoon feed. There are lots of mamas here that have experienced this.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97