Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for SIL

Default Help for SIL

My SIL had her baby on Monday. He was born 5 wks early via c-section because they found that his intestines were growing outside of his body. They have been slowly sucking the intestines back into his belly, and he is scheduled to be sewn up sometime today.

After this, it will be 3-6 more weeks before he is able to digest anything. My SIL has been pumping and really wants to breastfeed. I can't imagine the struggle she must be going through right now, and I worry that it might get too difficult for her and that she might give up on having to pump for so long before she is able to nurse; and then there's the possibility that her baby will have trouble nursing, too. I want her to have the best chance possible, though.

So, I thought I would ask on here if any of you have had similar experiences that you wouldn't mind me sharing with her. I think it would help her to learn of other mothers' successes to help her keep her own hopes up.

Post them here or PM (I'm gonig to clean out my inbox right now to make sure there's enough room). I thank you profusely in advance
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: Help for SIL

We went through something similar with my DS2. Does she have access to email? I could email her, or would it be easier to PM you and you pass it on?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I don't know if she's checking her email right now. My MIL is with her, though, and I was going to send any stories to her email to pass on to my SIL.
    ~Sylvia~

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Okay. I'll keep this short
    We knew at 20 weeks gestation DS had an omphalocele with his bowels on the outside, although it was small. When he was born they were able to put everything back in and he had one surgery at 3 days old. I know that is different than a few weeks like your nephew, but we were also told he could not eat until then. As much as I didnt want my baby to have a pacifier, it was important he have it so he would learn to suck even if he didnt get a pacifier/bottle. I pumped and bottle fed him for 8 days, and was only able to nurse a few times. It wasn't until we were home from the NICU that he successfully nursed. I think because we were both comfortable, no crazy beeping from the machines and extra hands from the nurses trying to help made us both settle down and get the hang of it right away.
    It was hard to nurse in the NICU because they want to weigh the baby before and after because they want them to have X amount of mLs and they have them on a schedule, which is kind of hard when you are used to/expecting to feed on demand. But remind her that once she gets home, it will be so much easier. The important thing is that he gets stronger and his bowels are working so he can get home as soon as possible. If I were her, I'd keep pumping. And work with the LC as soon as she is able to nurse. They will have the tips she may need *IF* the baby has problems. You never know, he might latch right on with no problems! When she is with him, she should nurse first (when able) and then they will likely tell her to supplement and he may or may not take it. It's very hard, but if she stays strong and she is working with a great NICU team I'm sure she will be able to nurse all she wants.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Heather

Looking at your profile, your DS2 is only one day older than mine
    ~Sylvia~

Daughter of God