Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rashes and lumps

Default Rashes and lumps

Hello, I'm just wondering if antone else has experienced this? Since about 2 months into pumping I get a red rash on the outside and inside of my breasts. If I wear my old bras, it gets much worse, so I am stuck with just my one nursing bra, I assume it's just the material aggravating the issue, they were always kind of itchy. The rash comes and goes with no particular pattern, it's either there or it's not. It's pretty much only in the areas where I touch to compress while pumping. I've asked my Dr and he says excema, but I'm not convinced. I've recently gotten an email talking about this 'new' kind of aggressive breast cancer and the patient had a rash while breast feeding and the Dr's said it was excema and she died shortly there after. Understandbly I take all emails like that with a large grain of salt, but I thought I would ask here to see what you all thought.

Also, I have this hard little lump right next to my nipple. It hurts like nothing else. I've tried massaging it, thinking it's a clog, but it doesn't help at all. It also burns like crazy when I do touch it, like the skin is chapped. I use the Medela Tender Care Lanolin to help with that. Just wondering if it is a clog or if it could be something else? It's been a week or so since it's appeared. I've been pumping for my twin boys for 8 months though and it's come and gone a few times. Thanks for any insight!

Tara

Default Re: Rashes and lumps

Tara, I think this is something to see a doctor about. And keep seeing doctors until you get one who takes you seriously. It sort of sounds like it could be thrush. It also sort of sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to something touching your skin from the pump. I know there is a super aggressive form of breast cancer that shows up as a rash, but I don't know much about it. But, even if it is something totally benign, it sounds really, really uncomfortable, and you deserve some answers and some relief.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: Rashes and lumps

It sounds like thrush to me, but I second PP about seeing a doctor.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.