Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Supply While PG

Question Pump Supply While PG

So I just found out that I'm preggers again. Yay! But my daytime pumping supply has dwindled pretty sharply.

A bit of background:
    - My son is almost 9 mos old. He goes to daycare 4 days per week for 10 hours, where he gets 3 bottles of 4-5 oz each. He also takes some solid food. He is away from me Saturday mornings for 1/2 the day and stays w/ daddy where I'm usually able to get home by lunch time, so he only needs one bottle then.
    - I've traditionally had ample supply, and had to start block feeding (every other feed on one breast) starting ~2 weeks. From 3 mos (when I went back to work) until about 6 mos, I pumped usually one extra bag of milk per day, down to about 2-3 extra per week by the end of that. From 6 mos until about 2 weeks ago, I produced just the 3 bottles per day. For the last 2 weeks, it's been about 1-2 bottles per day. I probably have about 50 bags of milk in the freezer (just a ballpark guess).
    - I was taking fenugreek, but never saw that much improvement w/ it.
    - When we are together on my days off and at night/morning, he is completely content. We've started nursing on both sides each time, but other than that he has been fine.

So my question is: what kind of experience have you pumpers out there have with output during pregnancy? Should I expect my supply to ever pick back up? If so, when?

I should say here that I have absolutely no weaning plans right now. I had always planned on pump-weaning after 12 mos, but to still nurse all the rest of the time.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: Pump Supply While PG

You will experience a drop in supply due to pregnancy. It will happen when you are pumping AND when you are nursing. I don't think your supply will pick back up until your new baby is born.

Do you know how far along you are? I have read that supply often dries up anywhere between 16 weeks and 5 months. Your baby may decide to nurse even though there isn't any milk there, or he may decide to wean.

I'm about 5 or 6 weeks pregnant right now and I think I'm seeing a difference with my daughter. She's 18 months old though, and eats and drinks other things.

I hope your supply lasts a while longer so you can avoid supplementing with formula.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm about the same, 5-6 weeks. Don't know for sure since I've only had 2 periods since my son was born, and they were like 6-7 weeks apart.

Well, I'm just going to keep at it as long as possible. He loves to eat, so that's good. I should have enough stashed to last if I add some extra pumping sessions on the weekends and my days off.

Thanks!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I am not pregnant, nor have I tried to breastfeed while pregnant, so I can't weigh in on that issue - except to say congratulations!!!

But I will say that between nine months and a year, my baby started eating a lot more solids, drinking other liquids, etc. He is now down to only one bottle a day. So you might find that your lowered supply does not present a major problem, especially with that giant freezer stash.

I also know of some folks who supplement before a year with cow's milk, rather than formula. By ten or eleven months, it might be worth trying out. (If it's only one or two sippy cups a day, and baby is still getting significant amounts of breast milk, you can do cow's milk earlier than the one year recommended point - if you read up on this, it turns out this recommendation is based on fears that people will substitute cow's milk for formula, resulting in iron-deficient anemic babies, and is not generally based on fears of allergies, although it's always smart to start out slowly with any new food.)

A close friend of mine got pregnant around the same time as you, and she has avoided formula supplementation by just kicking up the solids and giving a little cow's milk in a sippy cup once or twice a day (her baby is now a year old, but she has been doing this for a couple of months). Her baby still loves to nurse, even though her supply is lower, and he is thriving.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.