Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any harm in waiting?

Default Is there any harm in waiting?

Ds will be 7 months old in 4 days and he is still EBF. We have food allergies in the family. He still spits up ALOT 50+ times a day. He is small... 15 lbs at 6 months so since breastmilk is fattier than most solids I figure the more milk the better.
    I am still waiting for a pincer grasp, teeth and better abilty to sit up. He crawls bit still falls over after a few min sitting up on his own. The allergist/ asthma doc said to start and his ped said to wait. I want to wait but everyone makes it sound like he will be "behind" if I don't start. I hate the concept of baby food and will do a sort of BLW... I want him to self feed but I will probably cut things up small. THoughts???

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: Is there any harm in waiting?

My cousin has a lot of allergies in her family and because of that she didnt' start solids until around 8 months. If your doctors said to wait, I'd listen, sounds like they know what's going on and the other people don't. Just tell them that "the dr. said" end of conversation.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My daughter is just a bit younger than yours (will be 7 mos in 9 days) and even though we have started she's still 99.999% EBFed. I, too, offer her food BLW sort of way and she still plays with it for the most part. The only concern I have for her is her iron. Some documents I read say babies who were born less than 3kg at birth (she was 2.8kg) have less iron stored, and also she has been having some blood in her stools due to allergies to something in my diet so I'm wondering if BM alone is meeting her iron needs (I do know iron in BM is very well absorbed). If iron needs is a concern in your case maybe you could bring it up to your pedi and see what (s)he thinks?

Also I was just reading Gill Rapley's Baby-led Weaning and she says babies typically are only capable of the pincer grasp only around 8-9 months, so if you're waiting for that, it may be another while?? In the meantime if you want to do BLW you can offer him food in form of sticks about 5cm long that he can hold in his palm and eat the part that stick out.

Oh I have absolutely no friends who do BLW with their children and our families clearly don't understand why we're ok with her not really eating anything yet but I will just do what I believe is best for MY child.

When are solids started in other cultures? I'm just curious.

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

My daughter and I have food allergies and I suspect that the twins have food allergies. My boys just turned 4 months old yesterday and because of all of this, I'm insisting that they wait. I could honestly care less what the PED says. They're getting strictly breast milk at this point and that's all the nutrients that they need.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lleonard5 View Post
    My daughter and I have food allergies and I suspect that the twins have food allergies. My boys just turned 4 months old yesterday and because of all of this, I'm insisting that they wait. I could honestly care less what the PED says. They're getting strictly breast milk at this point and that's all the nutrients that they need.
    My son also has reflux... When do you think you will start solids with them? My ped says they are fine on breastmilk till a year but yesterday at the allergist/ astham doc ( he has asthma and we aren't sure about food allergies yet) she was like. Def start solids. I personally don't want to yet. He has had a piece of cantalope or apple ( more as a teether) and he just makes faces and drops it on the floor and doesn't seem interested at all.

My Daily Blog

I haven't made a final decision yet. I was thinking of holding off until the boys are 6 to 8 months, but might wait longer. Right now, their reflux is still way out of control and I need to get that straight first. They were supposed to have their 4mo appt yesterday and I was going to consult the crappy doc about their reflux or ask for a gastro referral but I had to reschedule their appt and now have to wait 3 more weeks.
    Lori

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

We have food allergies in my family and I waited until 9m to start and then started slowly. They were EBF up until then.

DS1 has multiple food allergies.

I was nervous about starting solids with DS2 .... but did start at 6 months doing "baby led solids".

We're taking it slow and using this info to help us with the process of introducing solids.

So far baby hasn't shown any signs of food allergies, but we haven't yet done any of the highly allergenic foods yet.

Baby is now 8 mo old and turns out to be a major chow hound. I'm sure baby would like to go faster with solids but we're keeping it slow.

FWIW - the TENDENCY to have allergies is inherited and NOT the specific allergy. DH and I have no family history of FOOD allergies but I've got lots of environmental allergies. This means DS2 has a good chance of having some sort of allergy, but not necessarily foods like his big brother.
    Last edited by @llli*lsksam; May 7th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have numerous health issues and other than having a bad reaction to strawberries and having environmental allergies, I didn't know that I had any other issues. When DD was born, I wasn't very informed about breastfeeding and was trying to make sure that my breaqstmilk was "top-notch" and had been eating large quantities of dairy and stuff. My poor daughter suffered badly. It took up until she was 18 months to fugure out all of her allergens. I had slowly started switching to her diet and have noticed that now that I am strictly on her diet, quite a bit of my health issues are now under control.

Those first 18 months with my daughter were absolute hell and with my boys, I am holding off on solids and will introduce them slowly in accordance with the Jonega Food Allergen Scale.
    Lori