Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Living in constant fear

Default Living in constant fear

... Of thrush! I know I sound like a broken record on this forum, and I'm sorry... But I am absolutely petrified that I am going to get it. In the past few days, I have noticed some slight itching and burning and pinkness to the nipples, and my baby's milky tongue has me paranoid. She has also been pretty gassy & fussy, but her diaper rash DID get better with regular creams. I also had a c-section which means I probably recieved meds that would make me more susceptible. Nursing is not painful after the initial pressure of letdown, but I'm afraid that if I do have a very early infection, that waiting until it does hurt will have devastating effects.

I've been eating yogurt, air-drying my nipples, sleeping topless, changing breast pads every feeding, sunbathing by the window if at all possible, and washing my hands vigorously. I am self-admittedly a bit of a hypochondriac, but breastfeeding means so much to me, and I really don't want it compromised by a yeast epidemic.

It seems like a pretty complicated situation- besides all the painstaking sterilizing, contageousness, and pain, it also seems like everything I read says most doctors don't know much about it. The fact that it can spread to the whole family and live in fabrics stresses me out to the maximum- so bad that I doubt I could continue breastfeeding if I got it. Do you have to be so "gung-ho" about it from the get-go... Or is using catch towels, bath towels, shirts, and bras only once before sterilizing- using disposable silverware and dishes- and replacing toothbrushes and deodorant all only needed when it is persistent??

Does anyone have any advice for me?
    Do lactation consultants charge for consultations?
    Last edited by JustSasha; October 3rd, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Default Re: Living in constant fear

Do you take a probiotic supplement or a accidophilus supplement? I have been taking them for three years. They are completely safe. I took them throughout my pg. The whole family can take them. You can get them online or at a herbal or health food store. A lot of time the accidophilus in yogurt is killed off by the sugar or too cold temps. There is a yogurt drink called Kefer, carried by most Krogers, that is good. I recommend the plain, which doesn't taste great ,but when mixed in a smoothie is much better.
    http://www.webmd.com/hw/diet_and_nutrition/tp21170.asp Here is what webmd has to say about probiotics.
    It states about the safety...

Are probiotics safe?
    Probiotics are considered safe because they are bacteria that already are part of the normal digestive system.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate dietary supplements in the same way it regulates medication. A dietary supplement can be sold with limited or no research on how well it works or on its safety.

Always tell your doctor if you are using a dietary supplement or if you are thinking about combining a dietary supplement with your conventional medical treatment. It may not be safe to forgo your conventional medical treatment and rely only on a dietary supplement. This is especially important for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding.

I did ask my ob about them, brought the label, and he ok'd. You should do the same.

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I agree with Sue. After dealing with thrush, I'll be taking acidophilus indefinitely until I'm done nursing . I hope you don't get it! I can honestly say I wouldn't wish thrush on anyone .

If it helps Ive had 4 babies and nursed all of them and never had thursh.
    Try not to worry. I agree with the other moms. Eat right and have the info you need to fight if it does happen. Sometimes I think stress has a major part in people getting sick and run down.
    If you try and slow down when you just start to feal ucky, you'll get beter in a shorter period of time.
    Eat the yougarts and enjoy your baby!

As a first time mommy I was on the look out for thrush like crazy. Anything white I saw in my sons mouth had me worried. For 2 full months I looked in his mouth constantly. We never got it. Not to say we wont at some point, but we never have and he's almost 4 1/2 months right now. Keep em clean, air em out, eat right, and enjoy the time right now. Don't stress. I know it's easier said than done but relax. If you get it, you get it, you'll deal with it, and keep truckin. Best of luck

Mia's mom & Ellie's mom-

I'll definately look into the acidophilus. I've already cut sugars out of my diet for weight-loss reasons, but as a vegetarian it's hard to avoid other things like breads, wheat and cheeses- they are staples for me! But I guess I am getting one step ahead of myself here... I don't even know if I have it, and it doesn't seem likely at this point. Hooray for harmless bacteria- Thanks for the advice!

Andrea & AJ's mom-

Your easy-going, one-day-at-a-time approach is exactly what I need to learn. I am a first-time mom, so I tend to get a little over-stressed about things, esp. breastfeeding. Stress does seem to be a contributor to poor health and it's something I seriously need to cut back on. Thanks for the support- I really feel soothed when I get reminded to "deal with it when it happens."

Believe me, my one day at a time approach was not easy to come by, especially being a first time mom myself. Everytime DS coughs I'm watching for mucus, wheezing, difficulty breathing, making sure it's not too hot, or too cold..... you name it. Being a first time mommy is a lot harder than I thought it would be :0)

I had my pediatrician inspect my baby's mouth, and she said it is not thrush.

However my nipples are getting more pink and more sensitive.

I'm still air-drying and nursing hasn't been any different than it was before, but Sophie clicks a lot which could contribute. They say they can click if it is thrush, from OALD, or a bad latch. I always figured it was the OALD because she still chokes and coughs if it's coming out too fast. (poor girl)

I would get a lactation consultant to rule out latch problems and anything else, but I'm not exactly sure how to.

That, and transportation is an issue for me, as well as method of payment (if they charge to be seen.)