Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to start using formula?

Default Do I need to start using formula?

I'm about to start working out of the home only two days a week for a couple of hours. My baby refuses to take a bottle, which I am addressing in another forum on this site but I have a problem which I'm embarrassed to admit on this forum:

I am one of those insane producers especially at night and in the morning. I really wasn't sleeping during the night from engorgement and night sweats. I finally had to work to slow down how much I was producing and pumping and now sleep the whole night beautifully without worrying about my breasts!

Because of all the months of pumping at before bed, over night and the AM and because I always feeding the baby myself, I had a huge stash of frozen expressed breastmilk. Now due, to wasting it a lot trying bottles, or using it for cereal, or taking it out in case when I visited my family and my husband and I tried to have a date, etc etc I wasted sooooo much of it. Now when I pump solely in the AM after LO first feeding I only I only yield tops 6 oz - now even less bc he's feeding at 6 am then going back to sleep so I'm yielding even less maybe only two ounces since he sleeps the night quite early and stays asleep until 6 AM.

This is great but for when I need to leave LO he can drink 10-12 oz from a bottle. Do I have to give him a little formula?

Default Re: Do I need to start using formula?

I don't think this sounds like a big problem at all! If you can get 6 ounces in a pumping session, or even once a day, that should amount to around 30 ounces a week, if you only pump on the days you don't work. That should give you around 15 ounces for each of the days you do work.

Even if you can only pump 2 ounces in a session, that should add up to around 10 ounces per week, just on the 5 days you are at home. Which would give you about 5 ounces for each of the 2 days you work out of the house.

And if you are really only gone for a couple of hours, I can't imagine why 5 ounces shouldn't be more than enough. It sounds great to me! My mind is truly boggling at the notion of a little one taking 10-12 ounces in one bottle!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    And if you are really only gone for a couple of hours, I can't imagine why 5 ounces shouldn't be more than enough. It sounds great to me! My mind is truly boggling at the notion of a little one taking 10-12 ounces in one bottle!

That really sounds like overfeeding. Are you using a super fast nipple? Maybe that's why he's refusing bottles now?

Check out the following week on how to bottle feed a breastfed baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

AHHHHH! I so DO NOT know how to use a bottle! Thanks for the great link!

Yes, I think my nipple speed is too fast, though he was taking the bottle and now at the sight of it he cries and he won't even take it into his mouth. I'm hoping he will do better with grandma tomorrow.

...yes, too fast a nipple and perhaps way too much milk. I had the calculations right but I think I was mistaking the fast nipple speed for his hunger. Excellent point.

...and you also also correct that LO will not starve in the matter of a couple of hours while I'm out. (I'm talking three at the most) I just want LO to be comfortable.

Correction: my medella nipples are slow flow others were not, he just won't take it from me. I will set grandma up with a breastflow bottle to try tomorrow. THANK you I am so relieved at the quantity of milk I need to leave cheers!
    Last edited by @llli*km789; May 5th, 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: correction

how old is baby? Lots of times as they get older they will just wait for you to get back if your only going to be gone for an hour or two he might not take much milk at all...