Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fears Regarding Block Feeding

Default Re: Fears Regarding Block Feeding

To answer your other question, I still only offer Joe one breast at a time. I often offer him the same breast twice in a row, if I don't think he really emptied it out the first time. But I no longer really have to think about this. And he has NO PROBLEM sucking the milk down, no matter full my breasts are. He's now like "Yay! MILKY boob!" (He doesn't talk, but he shows his appreciation in other ways!)

My breasts have self-regulated, and rarely spray or leak anymore. So while I am still a habitual one-side-feeder, and I have never had a problem with low supply, I haven't considered my supply too high since four months or so.

High supply is hard at first, but it ends up being a blessing. So many women struggle with low supply!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks so much! I tend to overthink things WAY too much - especially when it's over something so important as feeding my daughter. Sometimes I just need to be encouraged that my instincts are on track and that the clock doesn't know better... You've been so helpful!

I would give the same one after a missed feeding when that would happen to me w/ dd.

At about 8 months, she started taking both sides, but it was about 10 months before she didn't have to chug like at a keg party!

Thanks! My husband says she looks like a drunken sailor at the end of a really good feeding...

LOL! We had a drunken sea turtle here.

I started out with OALD/OS too, though not as much as you. Thankfully I think it helped that I was on here by the time DS was a week old so it never got too bad. Even so I could soak through a couple of wash cloths in just 3 or 4 hours at night, sometimes less. DS would fight and scream at every feeding. He peed constantly!

Things started to get better right away when I started nursing leaning back (took a couple of weeks to get the hang of laying down but it was great when we did) and block feeding. He has never taken both breasts except a couple of times during a growth spurt. Our longest block at the height of things might have been 4 or 5 hours- enough to get 2 solid feedings in at least, sometimes 3. He could always fill his tummy very quickly so if he drank well for at least 6-7 minutes and came off looking drunk and happy, that was a full feeding.

I reduced the block feeding when he was no longer fighting and was nursing well and seemed satisfied, and when I was no longer dealing with frequent engorgement, discomfort, leaking, etc. At 5 months I rarely wear breast pads anymore although sometimes I still leak at night. He still only takes one breast at a time, and I just alternate (he nurses every 2 hours or so) unless he only had a snack and is hugry again soon after, then I give him the same one again.

He loves to nurse now, he will latch on like he hasn't seen a breast in ages and his eyes roll back with a happy sigh, he keeps up well with the flow, and often comes off from a big meal with that happy, slightly drunk looking smile!

My supply is still abundant and pretty sensitive, though. If I pump at all I notice that I get a supply jump for a couple of days afterward so I try to keep the pumping to a minimum.

Oh and don't be surprised when your breasts finally do get soft. It made me a little nervous because I was so used to them being rock hard and leaking all the time, but you really want them to be soft, not have any hard lumps, or leak constantly. Less risk of plugged ducts and mastitis that way.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Oh and don't be surprised when your breasts finally do get soft. It made me a little nervous because I was so used to them being rock hard and leaking all the time, but you really want them to be soft, not have any hard lumps, or leak constantly. Less risk of plugged ducts and mastitis that way.
    I was relieved to read that! I didn't have that full feeling anymore and I did start to get a little nervous...

It's good to hear that your LO loves to nurse now. Things started to go really well with my LO as long as I would lie on my side and nurse her and now all of a sudden she screams with that, too. Her gas seems to be gone and now some nursing sessions are great and others she refuses again. Right now my DH just finished giving her a bottle of EBM. (She nursed for a couple of minutes and then again and has been doing this for the past couple of hours - you could tell she was really hungry and upset so we decided to try the bottle.) I don't think it's nipple confusion b/c this is only the third bottle of EBM she had since she was sick with jaundice the first week she was born.

She refuses to be fed now in the cradle position (our favorite) and nursing while reclining. I had a disaster yesterday trying to nurse her in a restaurant bathroom (I didn't want to risk the screaming and milk spraying into someone's food ). I finally just put her on the changing table and hung my boob over her and...she nursed! I hunched over her for awhile and then thought I could finish it by holding her and she refused to nurse again for more than a couple of minutes all evening until about midnight.

I'm so confused!
    Mommy to DH last March.
    and just found out that I'm
    Planning on

So glad I read your post. I'm dealing with similar issues too and wondering how exactly to do the blockfeeding I was doing it for awhile and prob seeing good results and then the pediatrician and nurse had never heard of blockfeeding and it seemed wierd to them that I would deal with an oversupply so they said to stop blockfeeding.....the next day my LO had blood specks in her stool which I've read/been told by a LC can be from a foremilk/hindmilk problem as well as a food allergy so I am back to blockfeeding to hopefully help the situation because eliminating foods hasn't helped us.

I'm also in the process of looking for a different ped. She is at least pro breastfeeding but is not very knowledgable. I asked some similar questions on my post today so check that to if I get any responses and maybe the answers can help you too It's the os/oald and blood in stools one.

Thanks! I'll check it out!
    Mommy to DH last March.
    and just found out that I'm
    Planning on