Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding after implants???

Default Breastfeeding after implants???

I have read many of the articles on the LLL website as well as on other websites about breastfeeding post augmentation. Most seem to convey the same information ....depending on surgery technique..nerve damage..duct damage. I would like to know if there are mothers out there that did not have difficulties breastfeeding after augmentation. Or if they did have difficulties what were they and how did you overcome them?? I have many months before my baby is due but am starting to worry already. I had no problems at all with breastfeeding my first child but my augmentation was performed after I had weaned her. Any comments would be appreciated!!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding after implants???

Thanks for your input!!! Mine where placed under the muscle but they were inserted through the nipple. So far I have been very pleased with them but now I slightly regret esp the way they were put in. Oh well what is done is done. I am only a few months pregnant but am wondering if I should count on bottle feeding or what?? Ugh! The breast are very sore but that is it so far. Did you try to breastfeed ?

Congratulations on your pregnancy! You must be so excited!

What I've always heard about breastfeeding after breast surgery or trauma is that it is impossible to predict what will happen. The breast has such complex structure and function; even the experts are still mystified to some extent by precisely how milk is made. The only way to know if you can breastfeed after augmentation is to try it and see what happens.

I think you are already doing the most important thing: gathering information and lining up resources well in advance of your baby's birth. Why not hope for the best? So I hope you will stick around here, read books, attend LLL meetings, maybe meet with an IBCLC beforehand who has experience in helping mothers who have breast implants.

I wish you a very happy and healthy pregnancy and a good start to motherhood!

--Rebecca

I have implants as well. I have never regretted having the surgery until i tried to BF. I have had complications from the start so I'm not sure if the implants are truly the problem. I have a low supply now but that may be due to my DS poor latch and shallow suck during the first few days after my milk came in.

My best advice to you while pregnant is to gather as much info as you can. Once you deliver, consult the LC at the hospital and let her know you have implants. The LC I worked with has shown me several tricks to help with BF.

Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck!