Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheat cereal

Default Wheat cereal

Our PD has suggested that we add wheat ceral to our 6 month olds diet. She has been "tasting" foods since about 4mos. He said that studies show that infants introduced to wheat ceral now have less of a chance of developing celiacs. I am ok with the idea, she doesent have any allergies (she does have a dairy and soy intolerance verified by the gastroenterolgist). The problem is that I cant find any baby wheat cereals..... not even a blend with wheat in it. Is there something I dont know about wheat products and infants?

Default Re: Wheat cereal

I give my 7MO wheat teething biscuits (if I'm right there to watch if she gets big chunks in her mouth). You could do that or toast (again, watch closely). If you wait even a month (instead of a year like they recommend) you will probably find that she is a lot better with holding food, chewing, etc.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*genesis View Post
    Our PD has suggested that we add wheat ceral to our 6 month olds diet. She has been "tasting" foods since about 4mos. He said that studies show that infants introduced to wheat ceral now have less of a chance of developing celiacs. I am ok with the idea, she doesent have any allergies (she does have a dairy and soy intolerance verified by the gastroenterolgist). The problem is that I cant find any baby wheat cereals..... not even a blend with wheat in it. Is there something I dont know about wheat products and infants?
    here is a good link. My guess is your pedi is right. Everything I've heard lately is starting to point to the fact that delaying foods to avoid allergy or an allergic reaction, may actually contribute to allergies. It's a hard decision to make, but I gave wheat to my baby when she was almost 7MO (accidentally, didn't' realize it was "not recommended") but she was fine with it

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

What about cream of wheat cereal?

I think it has added iron, not the best absorbed by baby...

heres a good page on picking cereal, more geared twards older kids

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040700.asp

from that link
    5. Choose nutritious infant cereals. In selecting cereal for your baby, use criteria similar to those you use in choosing cereal for yourself. What are the main nutrients you want your baby to get from this cereal? Try these shopping tips:

Protein: at least one gram per serving
    Iron: at least three milligrams per serving. Remember, after infants and toddlers are weaned from breast milk or formula, cereals may supply around half of an infant's daily requirement for iron, which averages around six to ten milligrams a day. Infant cereals generally contain more iron per serving than adult cereals since they are enriched with iron.

i bought wheat gerber boxed cereal just yesterday at the grocery store
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

I use all Earths Best and they have the wheat teething biscuits.

FTM to Kevin Michael born two weeks early on 9/17/09
    weighing in at 6lbs 3oz, 19 1/2in. long
    Exclusively
    loving
    all while still going to school and

Gerber brand contains soy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*landonsmommy View Post
    i bought wheat gerber boxed cereal just yesterday at the grocery store

I'm going to jump in as the lone voice of dissent, here.

If that is actually what your pediatrician said, she is wrong. Studies show that earlier introduction of gluten grains are strongly associated with development of celiac disease in predisposed children. Some studies do show, however, that earlier introduction can reduce the likelihood of developing an ALLERGY to wheat, but that is completely different from celiac.

My personal stance on gluten grains is that they are not food for humans. We did not evolve eating them, and we do not have the capability to digest them well. There are too many toxins in them (toxins that help ensure the plant's survival to reproduce, that do their job specifically by disrupting our digestion in order that they should be poo'd out soon and intact) for them to be safe or healthy for us to eat, at least not without a whole LOT of preparation - soaking, grinding, fermenting, and all of that is before cooking. They are very capable of causing leaky gut, and thus a whole host of autoimmune problems such as rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's syndrome, type 1 diabetes, hashimoto's thyroiditis, crohn's diease, and others.

Just as a quick start, if you're interested, you can do a little reading about lectins and phytate.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; May 5th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012