Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: This kid is driving me crazy...

Default This kid is driving me crazy...

P is 13mos. He has 8 teeth. He REFUSES to try and feed himself. I put cheerios, cut up cheese, scrambled eggs, french toast, pancakes...you name it, I've tried it. The kid only wants to eat baby food.

He will wolf down 2-3 stage 3 jars of food at a meal. He eats the texture...but makes no attempt to chew. He swallows everything whole. He will eat almost anything I put on a spoon...yogurt, eggs, pasta, cheese, etc....BUT, he refuses to pick up ANYTHING.

I've tried just putting him in his chair with a few different food options on his tray. I even help him out with the first bite or two. And I've left him alone to figure it out himself. But 30 minutes later and he is still just sitting in his high chair staring at the food

The whole baby food thing is getting old...even his parents are flustered. Any ideas?

He's 13mos and BF 2-4x/day. He drinks cow's milk out of a sippy while he's here.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: This kid is driving me crazy...

I have no advice, but he sounds a lot like my nephew. It was a looong time (he's 3 now) before he would feed himself, or would eat anything but purees. He ended up working with a feeding therapist, and that made a big difference.

if you give him a spoon will he eat mashed up foods by himself?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Does he seek out, hold, and use toys? Is this JUST a food thing, or is he sort of like this in other areas, too?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    if you give him a spoon will he eat mashed up foods by himself?
    Nope. I put a spoon on his tray every morning. I start out his meals trying to get him to eat his own food. After I feed all the other babies, I end up spoon-feeding him a jar of food.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Does he seek out, hold, and use toys? Is this JUST a food thing, or is he sort of like this in other areas, too?
    He crawls (not walking yet) over to toys and picks them up. He babbles and makes eye contact with me when I call his name. He does not usually interact with the other children. He will just cry if he gets knocked over. He is very very easy-going. He hardly ever fusses or cries. He plays by himself and plays quietly. I really worry though that he always seems to be in his own world, but maybe he is just an easy-going kid that won't eat

ETA: He NEVER cries when he's hungry. On the advice of his mother (and their retarded pedi) I didn't feed him at all one day. I offered him food 3x that day on his tray. He NEVER picked any of it up to eat it, and he never fussed at all that he was hungry. Not once
    Last edited by @llli*Leslie; May 4th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!