Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late for me?

Default Re: Is it too late for me?

I'll be think of you mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I think you're going to pull through this. Even if you can exclusively BF for half a day, for twelve hours, whatever ... that's MAJOR PROGRESS! So don't be nervous, and don't get down on yourself - increasing supply is a somewhat gradual process. Be patient with yourself. Every day is a new day, and if you keep putting that baby to your breast, you'll make a little more breastmilk every day. You can do this!!

Also, I agree with PP that many breastfed babies wake up a little more frequently, and feed more frequently, than formula-fed babies at first. This does get better, and the feedings space out. You learn to multitask! Right now, you just need to figure, you're gonna be breastfeeding all day long, every day, until your supply is where you want it. It's hard, but it's only a couple weeks of your life. Your reward - breastfeeding is way more convenient than formula feeding and way less expensive - and you can keep it up for the next year or two! Once you get through the hard early days (and most of us had some early hard days!), it's just a wonderful thing to share with your baby as he grows.

Hope to see you here dishing out great advice to women in your current shoes in a year!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Unhappy Already frustrated!!! Need help!

Well, he woke up for his 6am feeding as usual, and latched on and drank. I thought everything was fine, but a half an hour into it he started fussing and pulling and biting. I tried switching breasts, switching positions, changing his diaper--EVERYTHING. We played this game until 8:30, when his face was so red from crying he looked like a tomato, and I REALLY needed a cup of coffee. So I gave up and fed him a 4 oz bottle of EBM, which he ate all of. Now I'm typing this and holding him, and he just won't stop crying. He won't latch, and he won't stop crying long enough for me to pump a bottle, and I don't have much ebm left in the fridge! Ugh I don't know what to do. I really don't want to give formula today.

Hang in there moma!!!! It is very unlikely that he is still hungry after eating 4 oz of EBM. Can you take a nice warm bath with him? or get him in a sling or wrap and walk around a little. Or maybe do some skin to skin. Sometimes once they are upset they will have trouble latching on just becuase they are so upset. So maybe work at getting him calmed down a little then try to latch him back on. For my LO a change of scenery or something different always helped.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

4oz esp after nursing is a lot! My son drank 4 oz at a time for 14 months! I think you did an excellent job. Remember that he probably drank the bottle because it was easy not necessarily because he was starving! Also because you are so (justifibly so) focused on the nursing you "blame" everything on it (again NOT being critical just want you to remember), when in fact my son who always nursed had those periods too. YKWIM?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

So he finally fell asleep! I've been pumping every hour today to try to get my milk supply back up. I'm getting anywhere from .5-1.5 oz. per session. Hopefully soon I can make enough for him! I'm giving up on the actual BF for a little bit, at least til this evening. I'm frustrated and he's frustrated and I'd rather pump and give him some than try to latch him and hear him cry because he's not getting any!
    My LO born April 15, 2010
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

Just take it one day at a time moma. .5 to 1.5 oz per hour is great!!! Breastfed babies only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour anyway so it sounds like you are right there. maybe try to feed him a little EBM first then try latching him on? so he is not as hungry when he first starts tying? You are doing great- keep up the good work!!!
    Jessica

Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.

Yeah, you're doing awesome! You're pumping plenty! Your supply is going back up! It seems like he latches on well when he's sleepy - that's normal, and great - to me that means he will get the hang of this BF thing given a bit more time!

So try to focus on your successes, and take the ups and downs as they come!

I second the PP who said, babies - FF and BF - sometimes just have fussy days. Your baby sounds fussy, not hungry per se. Get out of the house! Go for a walk! Go to the market and look at the pretty vegetables (this is what I do )! Get a coffee! Try to enjoy yourself. Then come back and pump some more. Deep breaths. Take it a day at a time. Don't give up!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Red face Re: Is it too late for me?

Well, I've decided that since breastfeeding is still just making both of our lives miserable, I am going to exclusively pump. Three days ago I got 7 ounces, two days ago I got 10 ounces, yesterday I got 11.5 ounces, and so far today I've gotten 7.5 ounces, and it's only 10am. I'm really hoping this will work out! We bought the Playtex Drop-Ins system, and LO seems to love it so far.
    My LO born April 15, 2010
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

That is great that you are getting more milk!! That is the first step! However I would encourage you to keep trying to get your LO to nurse. I know it seems easier to just pump right now but in the long run it is a lot harder. Pumping takes so much time and you still have to wash pump parts, get a bottle ready, wash the bottle, etc. Your LO takes a long time to feed right now but will take a lot less time as he gets more effecient. Pumping never gets more efficient. Plus it is harder to maintain a supply when you are exclusively pumping than when your LO is nursing. Now please don't misunderstand if you want to EP that is fine and there are certainly people who do it very successfully but I just want you to be aware of the down sides to it. maybe keep trying to nurse your LO at the easiest time of the day- maybe that is right before bed or right when he wakes up? Or maybe at nap time? That way you can pump but still have the option of nursing when you want to or if you need to. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that you are using the slowest flow nipple available on your bottles. This helps to make sure that your LO is not overeating. Remeber that BF babies generally only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour no matter how old they get. Good Luck and keep us up to date.
    Jessica