Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late for me?

Smile Day 11

So nice to have all this support

It's been 11 days since I've endeavored to relactate. I stopped eating oatmeal, and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything (yay I hate oatmeal!). I'm still mostly pumping. I nurse him first thing in the morning, and then he sleeps for a long time. The rest of the day, I pump, and get 2-4 oz. everytime. I've been trying to pump every two hours, and once or twice through the night. So far, we've only had to supplement one or two bottles of formula throughout the day, so we're getting close to our goal!!!!

He's officially a month old now! His dirty diapers (we switched to cloth) have been less thick and smelly like formula dirties and more yellow and watery like bm dirties. And I'm closer to my 6-weeks PP date, so that I can start exercising again. I lost twenty pounds, but gained another 5 back! I guess with breastfeeding, I still give myself the excuse of "eating for two" lol.
    My LO born April 15, 2010
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

Default Re: Day 11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*matadors.mama View Post
    And I'm closer to my 6-weeks PP date, so that I can start exercising again. I lost twenty pounds, but gained another 5 back! I guess with breastfeeding, I still give myself the excuse of "eating for two" lol.
    Don't overdo it!! Breastfeeding makes me feel famished all the time. But despite eating buttermilk pancakes for dinner, more than once, I lost all of my pregancy weight by around six months. For some women it takes longer - I often hear "nine months to put it on, nine months to take it off." Anyway, some gentle exercise is great (walking, etc.), but DO NOT DIET. Hear me? Sure, eat healthy stuff when you're hungry rather than junk, but DO NOT GO HUNGRY. That's a sure way to lower your milk supply!

I went through a period of "mirror avoidance" around six weeks to three months. I wasn't happy with the way I looked - childbirth really changes your figure! But I'm glad I didn't deprive myself of good food, because eventually, I got my figure back (with some minor changes ). Be nice to yourself.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Day 11

The rest of the day, I pump, and get 2-4 oz. everytime. I've been trying to pump every two hours, and once or twice through the night.
    Wow that is great!!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Angry Ugh

Today is horrible. This morning he wouldn't latch. I thought, no problem, he's just having an off day, I'll just pump and try again later. Well, that was at 3 am and it's now noon. He still won't latch, and EVERY time I sit down to pump him a bottle, he wakes up screaming and I have to give him formula. So, he's eating formula, won't latch, won't pacify at my breasts, and I haven't been able to pump in 9 hours. AND I have midterms at school tonight which is going to throw off my pumping schedule anyway.

It's enough to make me say forget it.
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

Default Re: Is it too late for me?

Don't give up!!! I know it is hard right now but keep going- you won't regret it later. Sit down right now and pump. Do a power pump. 10 minute on and 10 minutes off for the next hour. Call in what ever support that you have. If you need to go to midterms tonight pump in the car on the way there and on the way back. You can do this but don't give up.
    Jessica

Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.

Thanks for your comments... I eventually did get to pump when DH got home, but then didn't get to pump again until like 8pm after midterms. I could not get a break! Thankfully I only have one more class with that teacher.

So overnight, he woke up at 12:30, 4, and 6, like normal, but he wouldn't eat! Not even from a bottle. He just kept spitting everything up. And I must have changed about four diarrhea diapers. I feel SO bad for him. Do you think all this switching back and forth is making him sick? He just seems so extrememly unhappy.
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

Don't worry- if your baby is sick, it's not the switching back and forth that's making him that way. It's a virus or a bacteria. It's always tempting to blame all a baby's issues on something you're doing or not doing- but you can't take everything on yourself. Okay, mama?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One day at a time- that is all you can do. Keep pumping every 2 to 3 hours and keep yourself hydrated. As for you LO not feeling good and refusing to eat sounds to me more like it is a little stomach bug than anything you have done. The formula can be hard on thier tummys but switching back and forth shouldn't hurt if he was fine on the formula before.
    Jessica

Default Does Malibu have a good job market?

Well I'm barely 5 weeks postpartum, and I got a visit from AF. So I'm crampy, depressed, and only pumped 2 ounces today so far. On top of that, DH won't even talk to me today and I don't know why. I feel like baby and I just need to get away and de-stress. I just want to take my baby and run away to California or something and just start a whole new life, YKWIM?
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

Default Re: Does Malibu have a good job market?

No!! Hang in there. We've all had these rough, rough days. Don't forget, being postpartum (and of course, being on your period too), messes with your head emotionally. Things are not necessarily as they appear. Especially, things aren't as BAD as they appear. Keep up the good work with the pumping, and you may scare AF off ... you are definitely increasing your supply. It's just that it doesn't happen overnight - it's a gradual process. Just keep on truckin' - you'll get there!

Even if you have to continue to supplement your baby some, don't quit!

Just a personal experience, not necessarily relevant to your story: I had a breast biopsy when my baby was about three months old. In order to heal up the biopsy incision, I had to almost entirely wean off one side. During the time I was weaning off one side, I nursed only on the other side. My supply on the good side went up, but never enough to completely cover my baby's needs. So I had to supplement some. I told myself then, that if I could breastfeed my baby even 75% or 80% (hell, even 50%), I would be happy. Every little bit matters, you know?

In the end, I was able to completely wean off that side, then relactate that side. It took FOREVER, but eventually I got all the way to 100%. But it took a long time. And I wasn't sure it would work out that way. And I still persevered, because I knew that ANY amount of breastmilk was better than nothing.

So, seriously, HANG IN THERE. Pat yourself on the back for every ounce of breastmilk your baby gets.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.