Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late for me?

Default Re: Is it too late for me?

I just wanted to say, I've been reading this thread - it's not something I am an expert about, so I haven't weighed in with any advice (other mamas know more about low supply issues), but I am just TICKLED PINK by your success! You had some real challenges, but you are well on the path to exclusive breastfeeding!!! Wonderful!

Reading your recent posts just put a smile on my face.

(Also, this forum is wonderful, isn't it? I think so too!)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*matadors.mama View Post

Just a quick update--LO was sleeping so I thought I'd pump, and I got an ounce! I saved it in the fridge to feed to him later.
    That's GREAT My only advice would be NOT to feed it to him, but rather freeze it for maybe a time you'll be away. Babies are way more efficient at the breast than a pump, therefore to feed him what you pumped, rather than straight from the breast is actually going to hinder your supply. Does that make sense? Just keep what you pump for times you aren't there to feed directly.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    That's GREAT My only advice would be NOT to feed it to him, but rather freeze it for maybe a time you'll be away. Babies are way more efficient at the breast than a pump, therefore to feed him what you pumped, rather than straight from the breast is actually going to hinder your supply. Does that make sense? Just keep what you pump for times you aren't there to feed directly.

Freeze the oz and nurse when he wakes up. WTG mama. Also make sure to check the link mommal posted
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks everyone for your advice

Last night was really rough. He woke up at 11pm, then 1,3,4,6,7, and I think this new feeding schedule is getting to the both of us! I nursed him during all of his night feedings, except the 4am one, because he took the left and nursed but wouldn't latch onto the right and kept falling asleep. So I put him to bed and pumped, got another one ounce w00t!!

I think what the problem is, is that he is so contented when he nurses, he falls asleep and forgets he's hungry, until an hour later when he wakes up screaming and hungry again! Ugh, I can't wait til I have enough milk to satiate him with one feeding at a time.

LO is sleeping so long this morning (It's 11am and he went to sleep at 7am). So, I pumped at 9am and got 1.5 ounces. Yay, so much better than yesterday!

Well he must have heard me typing, because he's waking up! I'll update later!

I think what the problem is, is that he is so contented when he nurses, he falls asleep and forgets he's hungry, until an hour later when he wakes up screaming and hungry again! Ugh, I can't wait til I have enough milk to satiate him with one feeding at a time.
    I don't want you to get your hopes up for this because it might not be the case. Many breastfed babies need to eat more often. They digest breast milk so much faster and therefore need it more often. Yes, you're right about being content and falling asleep, but even still, he might just need to eat every hour. This is often a reason people stop nursing. They believe they aren't making enough or just can't take the frequency of feedings, but it is what the baby needs. Isn't it worth it though? It's not forever, it's just a few months of your child's life. But it's such a generous gift.

Congrats on going through with it! Be proud!!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Hi Matador! I agree with KST, this is proper signs and your LO is signaling your brain to make lots more milk, and higher-fat milk. Think of it as Nature's Little Liposuction plus, you'll be off the oatmeal soon at this rate. LO will soon regulate your supply and this bumpy patch will smoothe over. My DD is 3mos and we bedshare, she wakes up twice overnight for a snack now. I feel fully rested, though, since we bedshare (vs co-sleep, which can mean bedsharing or that LO sleeps in a crib in the parent's bedroom).
    Congrats on getting back to bfing so quickly!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Well today was my first Mother's Day We went to the park and had a picnic then got together with the family. I've only been pumping today because I don't think my little Bink is feeling too well. He just doesn't want to latch, but at least he's still taking my milk from a bottle, and when we do have to supplement with formula, we bought an organic soy brand, which looked somewhat healthier than Similac.

Back before I was stupid and let my milk almost dry up, I was pumping around 17 ounces a day, every day. This still wasn't enough to feed him exclusively, but it was at least half of what he was eating! Today so far, I've pumped 10 ounces total, and have about 2 more pumping sessions left. I've been getting about an ounce or a ounce and a half each session, except the first two morning sessions, where I got 2 ounces each.

I'm really hoping he feels better soon, but until then I'm just going to keep pumping and feeding him! I hope I can pump more tomorrow for him, but at least he's getting some.

I hope all of you had a great Mother's Day!

Just pumped and got 3 ounces

Just pumped and got 3 ounces
    way to GO mama!!!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Smile Tomorrow's the big day!!!!!

So as always thanks everyone for your words of encouragement

I am SO nervous about tomorrow. Starting with his 6 am feed, I am going to try to exclusively breastfeed for an entire day. I'm nervous as usual that he won't get enough to eat... but we'll see. Hopefully he won't be a crying mess all day. I managed to stock up about 16 oz. in the freezer just in case. If I can successfully breastfeed tomorrow and he seems satisfied, then I know I can do it full-time! I haven't felt this nervous and anxious since my water broke. I could kick myself for giving up so quickly on breastfeeding because I thought it was all too much. I was pumping 4 oz at a time and nursing him and I quit, thinking I wasn't making enough for him! STUPID decision, and I'm paying for it now. I can only hope my body and my son are forgiving and give me another chance.