Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late for me?

Default Is it too late for me?

Sorry this is long, but I'm at a loss!
    My son is currently two weeks and 5 days old.
    I BF'd my son for about a week. We couldn't get the latch right, and my breasts hurt so bad that I stopped BFing and started exclusively pumping with a double electric pump (evenflo). After a few days of pumping, my milk supply started to decrease, and we had to start supplementing with formula. After a day or two, I gave up and put him completely on formula.

It's been about a week since I've breastfed or pumped or anything. I really want to try to BF again. I tried it this morning, and he latched fine on both breasts and sucked for about 5 minutes before crying (I assume because there's very little milk in there).

Is there still hope for me to breastfeed? Can I get my supply back up or has it been too long? Should I just let him try to BF before each bottle feed until he doesn't need the bottle anymore?

Thanks so much in advance, I'm really hoping this can work!

Default Re: Is it too late for me?

I don't have a lot of advice but just wanted to offer some and let you know that it is totally possible to keep BF. keep putting your baby to the breast as much as possible. You can do this!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

You can do it mama. Since you need to supplement some have you given any thought to an SNS? It keeps baby at the breast even when supplementing and stimulates your breast to make more milk. Also Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle can help with milk production. A lot of moms here suggest renting a hospital grade pump for building your supply back up. Oh, and power pumping. 10minutes on 10 minutes off for 1hr. It helped to do that twice a day when my daughter was in the hospital. Lots of skin to skin contact too. Sorry if this is all too much. I am trying to remember everything before my daughter wakes up. Bad day with teething I am afraid so I have very little time to think. Maybe someone else can elaberate on some of this as I do believe I hear my daughter stirring around. Good luck mama! You can do it!
    I'm Heather, wife to Ben, mother to our miracle baby Olivia Paige and 7 angel babies.

Olivia Paige- 12-19-09 via emergency c section 9lbs 6oz 21in long.

We made it 7 months with lots of struggles. Wish it was longer, but still proud of myself.

I wearing my baby, cloth diapering and making her baby food.

Smile Re: Is it too late for me?

Thanks for all your encouragment!
    Well, I've decided to give it 30 days and see what happens. Today is Day 1. I bought fenugreek and will be taking 3 capsules 3 times a day for ten days, then 2 capsules 3 times a day for ten days, then 1 capsule three times a day for ten days, and hopefully by then I'll have a stable supply! I'm also taking 2 capsules of Blessed Thistle every time I take the fenugreek.

I'm also going to eat oatmeal every morning (this is truly the hardest part for me-I hate oatmeal!), and I'm drinking lots of water.

I'm going to try to make this work by nursing my LO on each breast for as long as he wants before each bottle of formula. So far today, he's eaten 6 times, which means he's nursed 6 times. Each time, he only took 3 oz. of formula from the bottle instead of his usual 4 oz., so I think maybe he's getting something from the nursing.

My goal is to keep doing this until he nurses and then doesn't take the bottle because he's full. Even if I never get to that point, at least he's getting some breastmilk, right?

Sounds great!!! I would just suggest a couple of things
    - You probably want to continue to pump after you feed him. This will signal your body to make more milk. Also you can suppliment with whatever you can get. it is better to suppliment with pumped breastmilk than formula becuase formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk.
    - Try offering the formula one ounce at a time after nursing and make sure you are using the slowest flow nipple you can get. It is very easy to over feed a baby from a bottle.
    - Oatmeal cookies instead of plain old oatmeal if you don't like it. I know someone around here has a recipe for lactation cookies that use oatmeal.
    -And definilty a second on the power pumping. Try that at least once a day.
    Good luck and keep us posted!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I have to say it's definitely not too late. I wanted to bf so bad but my daughter caused me to bleed so I gave it up after 3 days. Then I tried it again two weeks later. It was a challenge at first because between pumping, bf, formula feeding and cleaning bottles, I didn't get much sleep. But I have to say my daughter will be 4 months old and we have been fully bf for about 2 months now. So don't give up, it's so worth it!!!

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and words of advice

Well Day 1 has come and gone. I really think the herbs are helping, even though last night I double pumped for 15 mins and only got a few drops. This morning around 6am, I BF him laying down in bed, and when he started feeding on one side, the other side started leaking so much that I had to grab something to stop it from running all over his head! He is still eating the bottle after feeding, but not for as many ounces, and when I bf him I can hear him swallow way more than yesterday. We'll see what today brings!

This morning around 6am, I BF him laying down in bed, and when he started feeding on one side, the other side started leaking so much that I had to grab something to stop it from running all over his head!
    Awesome! When that sort of thing started happening to me, it was the beginning of the end of my supply issues. Hope things work out the same way for you!

Weaning from formula supplements
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*matadors.mama View Post
    Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and words of advice

Well Day 1 has come and gone. I really think the herbs are helping, even though last night I double pumped for 15 mins and only got a few drops. This morning around 6am, I BF him laying down in bed, and when he started feeding on one side, the other side started leaking so much that I had to grab something to stop it from running all over his head! He is still eating the bottle after feeding, but not for as many ounces, and when I bf him I can hear him swallow way more than yesterday. We'll see what today brings!
    This is so awesome mama! You are SOOOOO lucky that your LO is latching on and nursing so well after not nursing and being on bottles for a week. That is HUGE. And the fact that you're leaking and hearing him swallow and that it seems to be getting better daily is a huge sign, to me, at least, that your supply will be just fine! Keep putting him to the breast as often as he wants since good nursing is the best thing to stimulate your supply. Hooray!

Wow this forumn truly is amazing! People actually respond and give encouragement! I'm so excited to have found all of you... and I'm very grateful!

Just a quick update--LO was sleeping so I thought I'd pump, and I got an ounce! I saved it in the fridge to feed to him later.