Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: brand new

Default brand new

I am trying BF with my first child Calder (5 wks old). He loves to sleep at the breast and he does not finish his meal. Is there anyone who has tackled this problem? Also, I am not sure when I am empty. I encourage him to drink until the breasts feels quite soft (usually an hour), but when I pump I find I can get an additional 10-30 ml from each breast in just 10 minutes. Does this mean he is not drinking all he should? I want to stop the cycle of Bf, supplement,pump. It does seem I am making enough milk for him (with all the pumping I am doing). Thanks for any input. Mel

Default Re: brand new

Hi there! I had the same problem with my DH falling asleep, but my husband would tickle under her chin and she would con't to nurse. That might be helpful. Also mine would nurse for 15 mins aprox. and I would be empty. So maybe if you nudge him under the chin as soon as he starts to fall asleep and con't doing that your feeding might not be so long. Goodluck!

Default Re: brand new

Hello

I think the general advice would be to just let him nurse as long as he wants to and then as often as he wants to! He is still so little and he'll likely get better at it and fill up faster! Also, breast milk digests very quickly so he will need to eat often. It might be that with pumping you are increasing your supply beyond what he needs. Good luck and keep up the good work!! It is so hard to get started and feel comfortable with your baby's nursing patterns. You will likely feel better once you get a weight on him at the doctor's office and see that he is gaining like he should. Is it possible to do that before your next appointment?