Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Stopped BF at 6mos. WHY?

Default Baby Stopped BF at 6mos. WHY?

My daughter who turned 6 months two weeks ago abruptly stopped nursing. I am devastated. She stopped on her 6 month birthday (so it's been 2 weeks) and I have been trying everyday. Most days not supplementing with a bottle at all. I figured when she got hungry enough she would come back to me. But, some days she would go 6+ hours without eating and didn't seem hungry for it at all.

When I say she stopped nursing, I mean that I would put her in position and she would crane her neck to get her face as far away from my boobies as possible. I would go into a dark (pitch dark on some days) room with no noise or distractions and then I could only to get her to semi-suck for just couple minutes on good days. The only good nursing I could get was first thing in the AM when she was still asleep. Today she even stopped with that one.

I have pumped and the past two days started giving her breastmilk from a bottle. Oddly, she doesn't even seem to want the bottle of breastmilk either.

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you,
    Kiley
    Allison 3/19/16

Default Re: Baby Stopped BF at 6mos. WHY?

My dd does this on a very regular basis...exactly as you describe. It sounds like a nursing strike, and that's what I call it when she is doing it. She doesn't seem to want me or a bottle. I have no idea why. But I never offer a bottle when she is doing it anymore. I figure, as you do, that when she is hungry enough, she will eat. I will pump and store/freeze the milk for later, to maintain my supply and to have some in the freezer stash. Here is what the LLL site has to say on nursing strikes. Here is another one.

HTH!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I know teething gets blamed for everything, but it's possible that teeth coming in are causing her appetite to decrease or pain in her mouth, making eating uncomfortable. Is she showing any signs of teething?
    You are doing a great job! Our babies keep us guessing, don't they?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I thought it may be a nursing strike but this has lasted over 2 weeks now and each day it gets worse. For the first 1.5 weeks I didn't offer any supplement and offered the breast as often as possible (I swear she has to be losing weight) but starting the past couple days I felt it necessary to start giving her breastmilk in the bottle. So really, if it was a strike...wouldn't it be over by now?

Kiley

Ah yes, teething. Who the heck nows. She must be since she hasn't sprouted any yet. The only other thing I could think of was b/c she was so busy (sitting, crawling, playing) that she just didn't want to eat. But for 2 weeks? I don't know...

Thanks for all your advice!

Kiley

No matter what the cause, I know it is hard emotionally to feel "rejected" by your LO, especially with BF. It's supposed to be a time for bonding, not a kicking, screaming struggle, right? DS and I have never had a true strike, but there have been times when the outside world, and new skills for discovering it, were just too interesting to take much time to BF!
    But, my DS has come back around to taking more time out to BF and it has once again become a major time for bonding between us. It has only gotten sweeter since we passed the one year mark. I hope the same happens for you, and my guess is it will.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Perhaps you could try feeding her at night while she's sleeping? When my DD started sleeping through the night, I was worried she wasn't eating enough and I would wake up and feed her while she was asleep. She ate quite well and quickly. It's instinctual. I still do it occasionally if I don't think she got enough during the day although it's hard for me to wake up if I don't need to. Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Could be an ear infection as well? Some babies don't show the obvious symptoms but will lose their appetite. My son would not nurse as much when he gets an ear infection (or when he's teething). You might want to have a doctor check it out just to make sure it's not a symptom of something bothering your baby.