Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not much milk

Default not much milk

I have a 2 week old baby girl and my milk seems less than adequate. I am nursing for about 20 minutes on each side because she's such a slow eater. I've been supplementing w/ formula if needed, but I'd like to have enough milk to strictly BF. I only get about an ounce from both breasts when I pump. I've been reading about teas, and other things to increase milk supply. What tea? Where do I get it? What else can I do? I need all the advice I can get.

Default Re: not much milk

I read fenugreek is good and you can buy that at the GNC stores.

hi there and welcome to the forum!

fenugreek works well for some nursing mothers...here is some information about it.
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

i'm taking fenugreek...3 capsules 3 times a day...but i heard that you can take up to 3 capsules 4 times a day. you should see an increase within 48-72 hours.

also, you can buy mother's milk tea from GNC, too. i drink it twice a day, but i know some nursing mothers drink it up to 3 times a day.

HTH! good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I had the same problem. Make sure you are eating enough. It's so hard when taking care of a newborn to take care of yourself. Once I increased my food intake my supply improved. I added a smoothie (milk, yogurt, fruit, flax seed, soy protien) to my day. It's quick and easy. I also drink Milkmaid tea from EarthMamaAngelBaby http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/index.html[/URL] It doesn't have the licorice smell that Mother's Milk tea has (I hate licorice). I take Fenugreek 3 capsules, 3 times a day (makes your pee stink like maple syrup). And I also found LactationBlend made by Vitanica, they carry it at the local grocery stores that have a good supplement section. Not sure which one helped the most, probably increasing calories. Good luck to you!

I've also heard that nursing as often as possible especially at night helps your body know more milk is needed. You can also try pumping after each feeding, even though you don't get anything, to stimulate more milk production. Also, remain positive. Tell yourself you can make enough to feed your LO. Stress can also decrease supply. Good luck!