Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diflucan - How old was your infant?

Default Diflucan - How old was your infant?

Hi There

Just got back from the doc and she wouldn't prescribe diflucan for me 3.5 mth DD. She gave me a cream for my nipple to use after each pumping and Genetian Violet (round 2)! GOD I hope it gets rid of the yeast. Because she has thrush, she gets yeast diaper rash as well! SUCKS!

Nitu

Default Re: Diflucan - How old was your infant?

our pedi didn't prescribe infant diflucan for my dd at her 4 month checkup (just a couple weeks ago), but he did say that if this round of nystatin didn't work, then to bring her back in and he'd prescribe it at that time.

the following link has some helpful information about genetian violet.
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

yeast is very persistent...it takes a long time for some mothers and babies to get rid of it. here some advice from the LLL website about thrush:
    In addition to the medical treatment, there are other steps you can take.

Wash all bras, bra pads, nightgowns, etc (anything that comes in contact with your nipples) in HOT water with bleach and dry on hot in the dryer or in the sun.
    Rinsing your nipples with a vinegar and water solution (1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup water) after every feeding is helpful. Use a fresh cotton ball for each application and mix a new solution every day.
    Some women add acidophilus supplements (40 million units per day) to their diet.
    Some women find that reducing yeast and sugar in their diet helps.
    These home remedies can be effective but they should be in addition to the medication, not instead of it.

Be careful with hand washing, especially after diaper changes. Babies can get yeasty diaper rashes very easily. If you use cloth diapers or nursing pads, the yeast can be passed through the laundry.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

my dd also had a yeasty diaper rash...we just applied lotrimin and it went away within 4-6 days.

hang in there! you and baby are doing great!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Hi

If i am not misunderstood it sounds your dd is approximately the same age as mine and also has thrush and diaper yeast. I went through 1 round of nystatin for 10 days with no luck. She hated the med and would make really funny faces before spitting some ot it out at times. We then went through 2days of 2x gentian violet. Now the doc has given a cream for me (i don't know if i have yeast, i have no symptoms) and another round of genetian violet for the little one.

I sterilize her pacifiers, bottles, nipples etc for 20 minutes. Once i start the medcation i am thinking of throwing out the milk i have in the fridge and start a fresh batch as i continue to sterilize her stuff. I have to also start sterilizing the pump. I hate this! Does your dd have any trouble with feeding? Mine is feeding very slow and only in her sleep and i dont know if thats because of the thrush.

Thanks for your response.
    nitu

my dd is now 4.5 months old...but she was about 3 months old when i started giving her nystatin. this is our 3rd round of nystatin. it was working during the first and second rounds...but kept coming back because i was using frozen milk...milk that i had pumped while i had thrush myself...so of course, my dd got her thrush back again from drinking that milk...so i threw out so many bottles of frozen milk

so our pedi thinks that this 3rd round of nystatin will do it since she only has a little bit of white stuff left on her tongue.

as for feeding, because it's gotten much better over the past month, she eats fine. i nurse her to sleep during the weeknights and i offer both breasts and she does just fine. i'm sorry to hear that your dd is having trouble nursing...they do say babies are a bit fussier when they have thrush.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

my ds was almost 5mo when he took diflucan.

My dd has quite a bit on her tongue and i will be starting her 2nd round of genetian violet tomorrow. I hope it get rid of it. I don't know if she is bothered by it but for some time now she only drinks her milk in her sleep (bottle fed using breast milk). Lately, she is super slow and falls asleep altogether at times and i have to spend 30 -45 minuts disturbing her sleep to get her to feed. I am not sure if this is a habit or if its because of the thrush.