Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could this be a food allergy?

Default Could this be a food allergy?

My son is 7.5 months old, exclusively breast fed and has been trying solid foods for about 4 weeks.Today we tried a tomato carrot puree for the first time.
    Up until today, he's only been having single ingredient purees. He has never tired tomato before.
    About 2 hours after he ate, I noticed a splotchy red rash on his temples. I'm wondering if this could be a food allergy?
    Of note, we were outside when I noticed it and it's almost 90 here today, that's the hottest weather he has ever been in, so maybe a heat rash? Also, he is getting over strep throat. Just thought I'd add that info in case it is pertinent.

What do you think??

Thanks!!
    Kell
    Married to Chris
    Mommy to Cal 9/15/09
    Love to

Default Re: Could this be a food allergy?

My daughter is the same age and I was researching different foods she can and have and found tomatoes (because of there acidity) usually aren't easy on babies tummy when they are under 10 months... so it may not be an allergy but just a reaction to the acidity!! I made the same mistake but with strawberries!! I found out they are an allergen, and my daughter didn't react too much just had a rash on her cheeks all day. so I took them away.

if his rash goes away he will most likely be ok... but maybe hold off on the tomatoes for a while longer!

I found this great website that I found through this forum! it is http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com

it has ages with all of its different foods!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Awesome link! Thank you!
    Thanks so much for the information, I hope it's just the acidity, we'll skip those for now and try again later! I'm SOO glad I didn't make a big batch of it! I'll keep an eye on it.
    Our babies were born 1 day apart!
    Married to Chris
    Mommy to Cal 9/15/09
    Love to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelleyz View Post
    Our babies were born 1 day apart!
    she was born at 2 am so she was barely born on th 16th!!! How cool!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

My husband and baby are in the nursery now playing with that baby karaoke thing you have in your picture!!!
    Married to Chris
    Mommy to Cal 9/15/09
    Love to