Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thoughts???

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Thoughts???

I posted this in another forum and then remembered about this forum. Hope someone here can give me a few ideas.

I'm not sure whether I have a legitimate "problem" or not. I'm having a hard time trying to explain this, so please bear with me.

I'm not sure if I have a legitimate "supply" issue or if I'm just being paranoid. I'm exclusively pumping for my 4 month old twin boys for now. When I'm pumping, I'm getting anywhere from 6-12 ounces per session. I pump after almost all of their feedings. Usually one feeding I miss out on pumping because I'm either half asleep or my 2.5 year old needs me for something.

When the boys eat, each of them eats 4.5 ounces or more per feeding, so in my mind pumping 6 oz isn't going to keep them fed. I do realize that by now, my milk supply is sort of balancing out with their feedings, but I want to make sure that I'm producing enough and would ideally like to have maybe a little "extra" in storage. We had an incident not too long ago where my brand-new refrigerator stopped working and I lost two weeks worth of the boys' milk, which was a TON. At that time, I was pumping about 70+oz per day. Right now, I'm not sure what I'm producing.

Here's what I've tried so far:

*pumping after every feeding for as long as possible (or until my 2.5 year old needs me)
    *power pumping when I can (which isn't often anymore)
    *adding in additional pumping sessions when I can
    *drinking plenty of water
    *taking fenugreek/blessed thistle
    *eating oatmeal (I haven't had it in a while since my idiot self bought the stuff that takes a long time to cook and I don't have that kind of time. )

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Default Re: Thoughts???

I don't know if you have a supply issue but WOW!!! you have an awesome pumping output. I am happy when I get 3 oz out when I pump. I wish I could do 6oz then I wouldn't have to pump after I nurse at home *sigh* keep up the good work!
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Thanks. I'm exclusively pumping, so there's absolutely NO direct nursing going on right now. Since I'm fairly new to nursing in general, I don't know if I'm producing too much or not enough, you know?

I just want to make sure that my supply is more than enough for them and that I can get a stockpile going in my freezer. I do have some in there, but I need to sit down and figure out how much I have built up in there. Before the fridge died, I had over two weeks worth of milk that went to waste.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

I don't know if multiples make your milk production better, but usually from what I've read if you pump in place of a feeding 2-3 oz is a good output. Assuming that the baby will actually empty more out of your breasts. If you go to www.kellymom.com It's a website exclusive to breastfeeding. I'm sure you can find your answer. Or someone will answer here eventually.
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding