Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any thoughts?????

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Any thoughts?????

I'm not sure whether I have a legitimate "problem" or not. I'm having a hard time trying to explain this, so please bear with me.

I'm not sure if I have a legitimate "supply" issue or if I'm just being paranoid. I'm exclusively pumping for my 4 month old twin boys for now. When I'm pumping, I'm getting anywhere from 6-12 ounces per session. I pump after almost all of their feedings. Usually one feeding I miss out on pumping because I'm either half asleep or my 2.5 year old needs me for something.

When the boys eat, each of them eats 4.5 ounces or more per feeding, so in my mind pumping 6 oz isn't going to keep them fed. I do realize that by now, my milk supply is sort of balancing out with their feedings, but I want to make sure that I'm producing enough and would ideally like to have maybe a little "extra" in storage. We had an incident not too long ago where my brand-new refrigerator stopped working and I lost two weeks worth of the boys' milk, which was a TON. At that time, I was pumping about 70+oz per day. Right now, I'm not sure what I'm producing.

Here's what I've tried so far:

*pumping after every feeding for as long as possible (or until my 2.5 year old needs me)
    *power pumping when I can (which isn't often anymore)
    *adding in additional pumping sessions when I can
    *drinking plenty of water
    *taking fenugreek/blessed thistle
    *eating oatmeal (I haven't had it in a while since my idiot self bought the stuff that takes a long time to cook and I don't have that kind of time. )

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Default Re: Any thoughts?????

If you are pumping more than they are consuming on a daily basis, that's great! What do you mean, you're not sure what you're producing?

Are you EPing for both of them?

If you are nursing them directly and pumping more on top of that, that's great!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things, although I don't totally understand the situation. I personally would bake cookies with that oatmeal!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Re: Any thoughts?????

Sorry if I'm confusing. I have difficulty expressing myself sometimes. Let's see if I can explain as nursing is a whole new realm for me.

* EP for now, until I get their reflux issues straight. Too much vomit and wrestling to get them into a comfy position.
    * When I pump, I'm getting about 70 oz per day. I said I wasn't sure what I was producing because I hadn't sat down and counted how much I pumped in a while

* The boys drink 70 oz or more a day. Am I ok as long as I'm meeting their needs for now? Since I'm pumping, will my milk increase when they start eating more?
    * Is it normal for my milk output to vary throughout the day or from day to day?
    * Should I try to get my output to increase? I like having a stockpile of extra milk in the freezer and when my fridge died, I lost two weeks worth, which was a LOT of milk.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!