Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't eat.

Default Won't eat.

My daughter is 7 mo and we are not nursing well! To make it worse, she refuses all solids except for crackers. I've tried letting her self feed, or feeding her different things, but she will gag and spit and sputter. SO SHE NURSES A LOT! I need help.

Note: In the past, she has had bananas a few times and threw up a LOT with that, so we're assuming she's allergic. We waited a month and we're trying to start solids again with no luck!

Default Re: Won't eat.

Aside from not being particularly interested in solids, and wanting to nurse a lot, is there any additional reason for concern, like low diaper output or slow weight gain? If not, then I think you can relax. Many babies are not interested in solids until well into their second year of life, and according to my pediatrician, solids aren't necessary for nutrition until the baby turns one. Until that first birthday, breastmilk provides all a baby needs, and solids are just for fun, and experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.

I know my kid had zero interest in solids until she was around a year, and didn't eat much more than a teaspoon or two of solid food until she was at least 14-15 months old. Up until that point, she was pretty much exclusively breastfed, and while it was frustrating for me to still be nursing 12 times a day at a year, it didn't hurt her at all.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son liked his cereal the first 2 days I gave it to him. Now he'd rather sit in his highchair and play with the spoon than eat anything. I'm just taking my time with him. I think the babies will tell us when they are ready to eat, and I don't think I'd worry about it too much until after a year old. My intuition is that Baby is not ready for it if she refuses it. Right now I think introducing foods is key. Additionally, thanks to neophobia, the same food can be offered up to 15 times before the baby will accept it.
    and working full-time at home

I feel your pain. My baby did not show any real interest in solids until ten months. Before that, everything made him gag and choke, and he spit most of it out, and cried everytime he saw a spoon! And he nursed All. The. Time.

But, he got over it. He's still not the biggest solid foods eater, but he consistently enjoys a couple meals a day. Still hates being spoonfed, though.

Good luck!!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursingbelle View Post
    My daughter is 7 mo and we are not nursing well! To make it worse, she refuses all solids except for crackers. I've tried letting her self feed, or feeding her different things, but she will gag and spit and sputter. SO SHE NURSES A LOT! I need help.

Note: In the past, she has had bananas a few times and threw up a LOT with that, so we're assuming she's allergic. We waited a month and we're trying to start solids again with no luck!
    When you say she isn't nursing well, what do you mean by that?
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb