Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain

Default weight gain

Just got back from 11 month checkup and I am furios and worried, doctor says I need to push more solids because weight gain has slowed. He weighed 19lbs 8 oz at 9 month check and only 20lbs at 11 month. He nurses on demand which is pretty often and likes nursing more than solids. I do BLS and let him eat what he wants. I recently added lunch (about a week ago) to give him more opportunity to eat. I was just fine with everything until this morning. Now I'm worried he is not eating enough. He was 9lbs 13 oz at birth and the doctor acts like he should be huge! His lowest weight was 8lbs 14 oz after birth and I think he has gained fine. He was 21 inches at birth and is now 28 1/2 inches. Do you ladies think this is okay?

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Default Re: weight gain

IMHO, if there is nothing IN ADDITION to weight gain that is of concern -- refusal to eat, swallowing issues, sleep issues, low diaper output, developmental delays, frequent infections, low energy, etc.-- it is highly improbably that there is any problem.

Typically, doctors like to see babies stay on their own particular growth curve, and get concerned if they drop off of that curve over time without an obvious explanation. The concern is basically valid, in my opinion, but it needs to be taken in the context of all that is going on with the individual child. If there is no other concern at play, there doesn't seem to be any reason to do anything except monitor the situation and know what to look for by way of symptoms of specific reasons for added concern and action.

Do you have any concerns about anything else going on with your little one? What is your gut feeling about it?
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

maybe writing down everything he eats over a week or more could help you see if you need to tweak any part of his diet.

with everyone else. It's perfectly normal for weight gain to slow around that time. They grow really fast for a while and then it slows down. Yours is bigger than mine was at 12 months.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My LO was 9lbs 1oz at birth, and at 2mnth check-up he weighed 15lbs 11oz. I figure that he has to slow down at sometime or he'll be enormous (like you mentioned). I'd follow your own instincts. If you feel that he is healthy and is still gaining (like you said he is), I'd do what you feel is right.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorenzomama View Post
    IMHO, if there is nothing IN ADDITION to weight gain that is of concern -- refusal to eat, swallowing issues, sleep issues, low diaper output, developmental delays, frequent infections, low energy, etc.-- it is highly improbably that there is any problem.
    Well said.

I don't think there's any reason to worry unless you're seeing signs of something being wrong aside from this month's low weight gain. Here's why:
    - After 6 months, it is normal for weight gain to slow as the baby becomes more and more mobile. All the calories that used to get packed on as fat get turned into action, instead.
    - Growth is not constant in all dimensions on a month-to-month basis. Some months a baby puts calories more or less equally into height, weight, and motion, in other months the bulk of a baby's calorie intake will go into one dimension or another- for example, the baby will grow in length but pause in weight, or put on lots of weight but slow in height, etc..
    - While the lines on the chart make it look like a baby's growth curve should be completely smooth, the truth is that most babies carve out very individual curves, wobbling all over the place.
    - Many docs are still using the old charts for formula-fed babies. On those charts, breastfed babies tend to look too fat during the first half of the first year, and too lean during the second half, because formula-fed babies tend to start out lean and then bulk up towards the end of their first year, while breastfed babies tend to do the opposite.
    - Your baby is still very nicely on the chart, just below the 50th percentile. That's not a bad place to be!!!

Relax, keep nursing on demand, and let your baby lead the way when it comes to solids. You're doing fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies, I feel that everything is just fine. He is a very happy, alert, energetic little guy. He never stops moving either so I'm sure he is burning calories like crazy. I know I've lost weight chasing him around! I'm just going to keep things the way they are and try not to worry.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang