Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: please help he wont eat urgent

Default please help he wont eat urgent

i had to go to court today for my oldest son. dh watched my 7wk old in the car. he had a 1 ounce bottle just incase. the bottle expired he fed it to him just as i was getting out.

now all day since 5pm my son he wont eat when he does it isnt a good feeding. hes been screaming and screaming and at times making loud high pitch squeal noises. ive been pumping as well to keep up supply today.

he ate at noon the bad 1 ounce. 1:30 he fed 2:45ish he ate a little more. 5pm is when the screaming started. he ate a little at 5:30 and at 6pm 2 ounces of pumped milk. he then screamed more fed again, and is now back to screaming.

he will suck on my finger but not my breast during these fits. im at my wits end dh told me to quit breastfeeding tonight because of this incident but thats ridiculous. i refuse to bottle feed him with formula.

please someone tell me whats going on??

Default Re: please help he wont eat urgent

I'm so sorry you are having such a horrible time right now! I'm impressed with your determination to continue breastfeeding, that takes a lot of strength and love for your baby. You are giving him a priceless and beautiful gift in breastfeeding him.

A couple questions to help us out here ... What exactly do you mean the "milk has expired?" Are his diapers as wet as before? Have you been giving him a bottle often? Any other difficulties nursing him before today? Have you noticed an overactive let down (milk spraying when baby pulls off breast, baby choking/gagging as milk comes down)? Is there anything else he is doing when he refuses to nurse, or anything different that you've noticed? Does he fuss when he feeds from the bottle?

I think the absolute best idea for you is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Or you can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

In the mean time take a look at this resource for information on different things that could be causing your son's refusal to eat and fussiness:

My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?
    And
    Help! My Baby Won't Nurse!

Let us know how things progress for you!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

it was a premade ounce and it sat for over an hr. hes never done this before his diapers etc have always been good. hes had pumped milk from a bottle a few times all went well. i was @ my moms so no pump there which is why i made up the bottle just incase it was in the backseat 80 degree heat and it had expired when he gave it to him... and now has screamed off and on all day and hasnt been eating right... idk what to do....

hi there - I quickly just wanted to give you a link to info regarding expressed breatmilk since you noted your BM was "expired" you did say it was about 1 hour 'old', correct??

Heres a quick link to take a look at ..

basically it says EBM is good for 4-6 hours ..take a look - I hope this may help ease your mind about you milk being bad...
    so sorry your having troubles... take it easy tonight and try to relax.. you babe will read that you're tense...
    do let us know how things turn out..
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkitten View Post
    it was a premade ounce and it sat for over an hr. hes never done this before his diapers etc have always been good. hes had pumped milk from a bottle a few times all went well. i was @ my moms so no pump there which is why i made up the bottle just incase it was in the backseat 80 degree heat and it had expired when he gave it to him... and now has screamed off and on all day and hasnt been eating right... idk what to do....
    It was formula then? I don't really know much about formula ... maybe another mom can help. It is possible he has food poisoning if the formula was given after it had set out for more than an hour. Has he been vomiting or had diarrhea?

Some info I found on line says: "Keep it cool ... Room temperature is the perfect climate for breeding germs in milk, so feed warmed formula to your baby right away (don't heat it up ahead of time) and toss any formula that has been sitting at room temperature for an hour or more. If you're taking your baby's bottle "to go," store it in an insulated lunch pack, ideally with an ice pack.

The most common symptoms of food-borne illness are vomiting and diarrhea. If you notice these symptoms, call your baby's doctor right away. Food-borne illness can be very serious, particularly in babies."

I would recommend calling your pediatrician for your concerns about the formula being bad and your local LLL leader for your nursing problems (see links in my above post)! Has he been eating okay tonight? How are his diapers looking (number of wets)?
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; October 3rd, 2006 at 01:29 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

oops- just figured out it was formula... I just assumed you had manually expressed 1 oz. sorry about that confusion I second a call to the doc if you are very concerned...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.