Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baby eczema??

Default baby eczema??

My 3 month old has a bad case of eczema on the face and I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with an allergy to something I'm eating. Could this be a cause of his eczema...possibly a dairy allergy maybe?

Default Re: baby eczema??

Hi,

Don't quote me b/c I haven't done any research on this, but my friend told me her sister avoided shell fish her entire pregnancy b/c she was told that baby will get eczema. Then while breastfeeding, she said she had a shrimp wonton noodle soup and next day, her baby had some red patches on his body.

I dunno if this makes any sense and I just haven't had much time to research. I avoided shell fish during my pregnancy as well. Now that I am BF, I have some, but not too much. Now that I think about it, I had a quite a bit of shrimp tempura in my sushi rolls on NYE... and baby seems to have some redness on his face that he never had since he was born... or maybe I just think so since I am thinking about this.

Hope this doesn't sound too silly... =)

Thanks for the tip but I don't think I've even ate shellfish since Eli was born. I'm thinking dairy because that it ALL I eat. I don't know what I'd do if I had to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*roxyvelas View Post
    Thanks for the tip but I don't think I've even ate shellfish since Eli was born. I'm thinking dairy because that it ALL I eat. I don't know what I'd do if I had to give it up.
    Does he have any other symptoms? Like mucousy bms, fussiness, gassy, diarrhea, etc?? I'm pretty sure my son has a milk sensitivity too, and he also developed eczema. If your baby has only eczema as a symptom, then its probably being aggravated by contact with something, and not what he's eating. Could be your detergent, perfume, body wash, or could even be his baby wash.

Lots of babies have eczema and outgrow it. It's not necessarily connected to allergies. It could be contact dermatitis (a reaction to something that touched baby's skin). It could be from some form of stress (my DS gets terrible eczema when he's constipated).

Talk to your pedi, but mine recommended moisturizing it and using only mild soaps to wash DS and his laundry. The recommended plan of moisturizing involves putting a thick lotion, like Eucerin, onto the affected areas right out of a bath while still moist, then topping with a layer of Aquaphor (or mixing the two lotions). If this isn't helping, you can get more advanced with wet wrapping and other treatments to moisturize the skin.

I wouldn't personally worry about allergies unless there is some other indication of an allergic reaction, like mucuosy or bloody poop. I get eczema in the winter, and it's not allergy-related.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

How do I know if he has mucousy poop. His poop is watery but not seedy at all. Could that mean its mucousy. I wish I could see an example of this.

My daughter (now 2 1/2) had exczema and really bad cradle cap and I never had shellfish nor ate a ton of diary.

I think some kids just get it and it's not necessarily tied to allergies (but could be if there are other symptoms)

We could keep it under control if we constantly applied, Aquaphor every night to her cheeks and the backs of her knees.

Even now as a toddler she still gets outbreaks especially this time of year but if we're careful to moisturize it seems to be under control.

Statistically, eczema is linked to allergies and asthma in children - that is, if a baby has eczema, there is a GREATER LIKELIHOOD that the baby will also have allergies or asthma (of course, allergies and asthma are also linked). But I agree, eczema is not always linked to allergies, and even if it is for your baby, it's not necessarily dairy or food sensitivities - he could be allergic to dust or grass or dogs or any number of things, you know?

Joe has had eczema pretty bad since he was eight or ten months old, but we haven't been able to see any connection between his skin and foods. I have a lot of environmental allergies (dust, etc.) and I have a feeling Joe's eczema may be linked to something like that, but I can't be sure.

Basically, if you want to cut dairy from your diet for a bit and see if that helps, go for it, but remember, it's hard to know sometimes what causes eczema ...

ETA: Applying Aquafor, Vaseline, or a little hydrocortisone ointment to Joe's skin while it's wet (during the bath) every single day keeps the eczema from flaring up. It's a hard condition to treat, because you can never slack off, or it comes back. But if you are diligent, you can stay on top of it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I just wish I could get it under control. It's getting worse instead of better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*roxyvelas View Post
    I just wish I could get it under control. It's getting worse instead of better.
    I hear that. It's really hard to get on top of, and it tends to flare up at the drop of a hat. What have you been doing as far as treatment?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.