Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old not ready? allergies?

Default 6 month old not ready? allergies?

So I just started my six month old on solids…more like tried it once. This past weekend I tried giving him some organic rice cereal (earths best) mixed with my breast milk (about 1 tbs of cereal and 3 of my milk). Most of it pretty much ended up on the bib, chair or chest. He saw it more as a game, I would “feed” him the cereal with the spoon and most of it would just stay in his mouth since I could see it as he laughed and/or would be spit up when he closed his mouth. This was on Saturday morning. Since then, he has had diarrhea (now its just a very wet stool) and is spitting up. He never spits up, but now every time I nurse him, he spits up. He also had a slight diaper rash. Could he be allergic to the rice cereal? Is the spit up normal, for when babies start eating solids since it’s the first thing they eat? My diet has changed at all…and he has his usual amount of wet diapers, his dirty diaper counts have increased. He does have a milk allergy/intolerance. Any suggestions would truly be welcomed, since I am a first time mom and this is the first breastfed baby in the family. Everyone in my family has already given me an earful for not starting solids way sooner, but I just stood my ground and said I’d wait until he was 6 months old.

Default Re: 6 month old not ready? allergies?

It doesn't sound like an allergy to me. Could just be a coincidence and maybe he's getting sick. Not that I'm an expert or anything but rice is one of those things that is very rare to find people who are allergic to.
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding

Hi

I can't give any personal advice as my DS is only 4.5mos old. First I would like to send for the grief you have been getting around solids. I am already getting that.

Second, my friend said that as soon as she introduced solids at 6 mos her son broke out in eczma. She ploughed on through and it took 2 mos to settle down (with GP advice of course). Now her DS is nearly 12 mos and all has settled.

Maybe go and see the doctor so that he can keep an eye on your LO

Keep us posted as to how you get on with the solids
    Amy, very proud Mum to beautiful Gabriel, born 11/12/2009. We are looking forward to baby number 2 arriving in January

We loved , but stopped after 9 months because I went back to work. We think that cloth nappies rock

Could not have breastfed without the fab support of husband Chris and of course the LLL!!!!

I dont know if its an allergy or not, but my DD dindnt eat solids willingly until about 10 months! I know people want to force us into doing things on THEIR timeschedules...but if you think he had a reaction to the cereal, then hold off for antother month.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I don't think it is an allergy but the fact that your LO is not swallowing means he is not ready.
    my LO is starting to eat some solids now at 11 mos and he's just fine.he has intolerance to dairy too.babies with intolerances tend to eat solids later.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

thanks for ur support, i think he is not ready. i figure i will try to give it to him about twice a week just for "fun" until he seems to ge the habit of it.

I agree it was probably a coincidence, especially if he didn't swallow. Take it slow, it's great that your son sees it as light and fun. That's exactly what it should be at this age

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Probably not an allergy but you could just hold off for a few weeks and try again!! My DD is almost 9 months and has never really cared for cereal anyway so we just sort of tried it then moved on.
    Don't let anyone pressure you with the whole solid food timeline!! I say they will eat more when they are hungry and they WILL be eating solids eventually period!
    Good luck!
    Mommy to two EBF Girls
    Ayna Marie 11-07-96 BF for 14mths
    Paisley Victoria 08-11-09 Still nursing

Cloth diapering for the 2nd time boy it gets easier after 13 years!!!