Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter?

Default Peanut butter?

My LO will be 10mo im a week, and I was wondering when it would be ok to try peanut butter. My oldest eats it constantly with no trouble, and we don't have any family history of food allergies.
    I actually eat peanuts and peanut butter quite a bit, would my LO have had a reaction from my milk after eating it, if she was going to have a problem?
    Proud mommie to two miracle babies
    Rachel 2/24/06 7lb 13oz born at 38 wks
    formula fed with lots of love.
    And currently attempting to drive her mother crazy
    Morgan 7/4/09 8lb 1oz born at 37wks
    bf going strong!
    Baby girl is one year old! Where does the time go?

Default Re: Peanut butter?

We had no family history either and tried a little after 1 with no issues. There are alot of different reccomendations on PB...
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I discovered that my daughter has an allergy to peanuts after introing PB on toast at 13 mo. I ate it (although infrequently) while nursing as well and she did not react to my milk.

The current thinking is that intro timing is less important than spacing and watching for reactions. If your lo has an allergy, WHEN you introduce a food will not make any difference, but a reaction in a toddler is slightly less alarming than a reaction in a baby. So I guess what I am saying is that *I* would probably wait until a year and then pay close attention to any possibility of reaction. Just like any other food.

ETA: the propensity for allergies is what is genetically passed along, so if you have ANY family history of ANY allergies, then your lo has a higher risk of developing some kind of allergy. Food, environmental, it makes no difference. Just wanted to clarify.
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; April 26th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

At DS 4 mo well check up, our pedi recommended waiting until 2 yrs for PB, egg whites and honey.
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding

We have no family history of peanut allergies. I waited until one year and DD decided for us. She snatched peanut butter toast off DH's plate. She's been enjoying it ever since.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I was going to wait a year, but my DH, ignorant of the pediatric literature, started giving Joe peanut butter toast at about nine months! Oops! Luckily, no problems.

I ate so much PB&J when I was pregnant that we joked that he would come out smelling like peanut butter. No food allergies seem to run in my family (although we certainly get some hayfever).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Has anyone ever heard of a LO having a reaction to breastmilk, after mom eats peanuts or peanut butter? Just curious, I don't have any experience dealing with allergies, so I really don't know anything about it.
    Proud mommie to two miracle babies
    Rachel 2/24/06 7lb 13oz born at 38 wks
    formula fed with lots of love.
    And currently attempting to drive her mother crazy
    Morgan 7/4/09 8lb 1oz born at 37wks
    bf going strong!
    Baby girl is one year old! Where does the time go?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ns1077 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a LO having a reaction to breastmilk, after mom eats peanuts or peanut butter? Just curious, I don't have any experience dealing with allergies, so I really don't know anything about it.
    Never heard of it. My dd is allergic to peanuts. I ate plenty of it while pregnant and nursing. A little over a year old she had some in a cookie that I wasn't aware of... a few months later she had some on toast a few times etc. Around 18 months old I started noticing that she would get a hive type rash around her mouth after eating anything with peanut butter in it and low and behold she was skin tested and has an allergy to it. So they can still be allergic even if they don't react the first or second time they have it. I wouldn't give it before 1 for sure.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My DS reactsv to dairy , soy , and eggs through my breastmilk so I would think Peanut Butter would be the same. Also, he gets a rash when I eat tomato sauces.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

My nephew also wound up in the ER from a reaction to peanuts via breastmilk when he was somewhere around 4-6 months old. Hives and swelling.