Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Goat's Milk, Cow's Milk Protein, Royal Jelly

Default Goat's Milk, Cow's Milk Protein, Royal Jelly

Hi,

I deal with autoimmunity and have found certain foods to be helpful in my journey. I am also frequently nursing a 20 month old (about 10 to 15 times a day more or less).

I am wanting to reintroduce goat's milk or yogurt into my diet and see how I do on it. However, I've long suspected that both me and my child (and my husband) are sensitive to cow's milk protein. Would my child react to goat's milk in my breastmilk the same way she would react to cow's milk protein?

I'm also wanting to try royal jelly, a stong bee product. Are there any dangers to my nursing child if I take this?

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Goat's Milk, Cow's Milk Protein, Royal Jelly

I recently read that goat's milk has less casein than cow's milk, so if your child was reacting to casein, you might be able to drink goat's milk without it bothering her.

According to Wikipedia, royal jelly "is 67% water, 12.5% crude protein, including small amounts of many different amino acids, and 11% simple sugars (monosaccharides), also including a relatively high amount (5%) of fatty acids. The main acid is the 10-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid or 10-HDA (about 2 - 3%).It also contains many trace minerals, some enzymes, antibacterial and antibiotic components, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and trace amounts of vitamin C,[2] but none of the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K."

None of those components are likely to be problematic.

Thank you so much!!! Seriuosly!!

You know, I eliminated dairy as a frazzled mom with a lot of health issues in the newborn period. Now, I wonder if it was the type of dairy I was eating. How do you ever really know your child is reacting to dairy--truly?

I don't think you can ever be perfectly certain- there are too many variables. The best way to get a sense of whether or not dairy bothers your child is with repeat eliminations and repeat trials of dairy. If your baby ALWAYS has suspicious symptoms after you eat dairy, then it's likely that dairy is a problem.

Thank you, mommal! I felt like there were a lot of variables too. Thank you for the elimination trial tip. So part of this might be a momma hunch about dairy, huh?

Yup, momma hunches is where it's at because there is no better diagnostic test. The problem with hunches is they are often wrong, which is why you get all science-y and do repeat trials of the suspect food. That way you're backing up your hunch with data.