Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding 17 mo. Feeling it's not enough!

Default Breastfeeding 17 mo. Feeling it's not enough!

Hi mamas hope all you pretty supportive ladies are doing well. So, I am so happy to say my baby girl is 17 months old and still nursing. However; let me tell you it can be nerve racking still at this point. A lot of you mamas have given me great advise in the past but her I am again stressing out .

My baby girl has been EBF since day one . She's obvisiously eating solids at this point now. However; I feel that because she is so curious about every sound, picture, phone, doggies, big brother & daddy she nurses very little and in 1 minute flash it seems. I worry that this isn't enough to keeping my wonderful milking factory up. I try every chance I get to nurse her. Before she would ask for her milk (she calls it papa) & now during the day she hardly ask. Unless she is really tired . This is why I try to offer as her normal routined schedule has always been every 2 hours. Now mind you if she doesn't want it I let her be and offer at next scheduled feeding time. I guess, I am concerned since her nursing Patterns have changed, I worry that I will definitely slow or stop production. She has always nursed 3-4 x at night. However, this has decreased as well. She's nursing twice at night now. So what I do if I see she skipped nursing I offer her, she nurses and goes back to sleep. I know I have read and been told this is when you want to make sure babies are nursing to get production flowing well. Especially if you can nurse right at 2am this is when prolactin levels are the highest. So you can imagine how I freak out when we miss our 2 am nursing.

Another reason I am concerned about milk production and if it's enough for her right now. Since my baby doll is definitely teething. Poor baby. Seems all her morals and a couple other teeth are cutting through. So just imagine how swollen and much pain she's in. From this her eating solid intake has completely changed. She doesn't want to hardly eat. This started worrying me cause she seems to not want anything to do with her food. Let me correct myself actually. She does eat only fruits. That's all she seems to want no actual food. So this is why I am so glad and blessed that she has mamas milk( papa) still. Any advised on the production of my milk since she is such a pro now. Or is this just me worrying my pretty little head for nothing. And as far as her solid intake what advice would you give me.

I know I have to let her pediatrician know of this on her next visit; however I personally don't like to tell him everything about my breastfeeding journey with My daughter. I have gotten a couple of remarks and comments that I didn't care to hear their opinions. People should just smile and stay quite. After all it's not their baby and we all get the chance to raise our kids how we choose. Especially when it comes to something so beneficial and healthy for them. I believe people see breastfeeding as a sexual encounter, which totally boggles my mind. I just don't see it. So to those people just turn your head, keep your comments to yourself and we will have a nice day thank you.
    Last edited by @llli*american.honey; April 28th, 2015 at 11:52 PM.

Default Re: Breastfeeding 17 mo. Feeling it's not enough!

I felt that one of the nicest things about nursing a toddler was not worrying about milk supply. It's natural for milk supply to drop as the baby loses some interest in nursing and eats increasing amounts of solids. As long as your child continues to nurse, your production will be maintained at the level where she needs it to be. So while zi think it's wonderful that you're aiming to maximize your baby's breastmilk intake, I don't think you need to worry about supply or worry if your baby's schedule isn't the same from day to day.

As far as solids go, this is another area where you can relax. So she's a picky eater- no big deal! Toddlers generally are, and that's adaptive; if mobile, exploring toddlers were as indiscriminate as babies are about what goes into their mouths, they would poison themselves in a hurry! It's also normal for toddlers' solid food intake to be low because they aren't growing that fast (compared to infancy, anyway) and their total caloric needs aren't that high. Just keep outting a variety of healthy solids in front of your baby, and let her decide when and what to eat.

Perrrfeccct Mommal. You always answer my post with such great calming advice. Once again, you prove to me that I need to relax and enjoy the ride. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by @llli*american.honey; April 28th, 2015 at 11:55 PM.

You already got the advice you need but my daughter is the same age and seems to think fruit and breastmilk are the only things she needs in life too! She used to eat so much more (variety wise). They'll get there again I'm sure

Yes, you are right. I guess they think they can live off fruits and mamas milk. That's why I'm glad and super blessed that my body is still producing such a valuable source of food for my little one. It truly is a blessing.

I don't know why you are stressing about it. You won't be nursing your baby until forever, you know! It dwindles by itself (unless you deliberately wean, which you aren't). Once babies nurse less, they eat more. The days my baby refuses to nurse (or nurses very little) are the days he drinks the most (milk, water, etc).
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

I love the other advice posted here. One thing I will add is that I don't think weaning is linear (though we haven't weaned yet!). My son is 22 mo, and he started tapering off around maybe 17 or 18 months and then in the last month or so, I've noticed a huge increase in his nursing. So though your daughter could be weaning, it could also be a phase. My son is also not a great eater (as far as quantity goes), so I love the confidence that nursing provides (and I don't feel like I have to give him "bad for him" foods just to fill him up--I can wait for him to eat healthy foods, even if he only eats a little).

Anyway, I hope your breastfeeding continues to go well!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monbebe View Post
    One thing I will add is that I don't think weaning is linear (though we haven't weaned yet!). My son is 22 mo, and he started tapering off around maybe 17 or 18 months and then in the last month or so, I've noticed a huge increase in his nursing.
    This has been my experience too. I think around the same time though I don't remember exactly.