Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wobbly teeth

Default Wobbly teeth

Hi,

I have a funny problem with my teeth and wondered if anyone could help?

My four year old son has just weaned. For the last year or so of breastfeeding I was on a dairy-free diet because of digestion problems, and I think I wasn't getting enough calcium.

I'm no longer breastfeeding, but after weaning the hormone changes caused my digestion problems to get much worse and I'm on a very restricted diet now while things sort themselves out. I'm making sure to eat sardines twice a day to get a decent amount of calcium though, and I'm green leafy vegetables or brocolli twice a day for vitamins and what-have-you.

The weird thing is that a few months ago my front teeth started to feel a bit wobbly. They are a bit wobbly every day now, but after I eat my sardines and leafy greens they stop being wobbly for a few hours, and then they go back to being wobbly. The more sardines and leaves I eat, the longer my teeth stay non-wobbly.

Obviously the thing I'd really like to do is to get to the point where they are not wobbly at all. Do you think I've just got very short of calcium and that I need to really work to build up my calcium reserves again? Sardines are a bit too fishy to eat in very large quantities and I don't seem to be able to eat anything else that is a good source of calcium. I tried calcium suppliments, but the vitamin D in them keeps me awake at night. I can't buy calcium suppliments without vitamin D.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

JSP

Default Re: Wobbly teeth

get some blood work done to see what you are deficient in since I was going to recommend vitamin D actually (You need to make sure you have a good balance of calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D for good bone and teeth development. If you can't take vitamin D supplements you probably need to get more sunlight, getting it early in the day may help with being able to sleep at night.

What does the dentist say? Loose teeth would make me worry about periodontal problems.

I agree with both tclynx and mommal. See dentist asap and if they refer you to a periodontist, go. If it IS a periodontal issue, there is lots that can be done but best to attack it asap. Also, if you are suffering from overall poor nutrition that might be an issue possibly?

I had to have periodontal treatment years ago, when I had no insurance. I did it with a payment plan. And I am very glad I did as it saved my teeth.

If you are low on calcium or other minerals, you certainly want to address that, perhaps with supplements if nothing else. I agree you want to look at Vitamin D as well. But again I would suggest do not try to treat this on your own as more may be going on. http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/new...ent-tooth-loss

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts. The dentist says there are no periodontal problems and that it's common to make teeth wobbly by grinding them due to stress. He said that was all it was in this case- but that doesn't make sense to me as my teeth stop wobbling after eating the right food.

The GP checked my Calcium, magnesium and vitamin D levels and found that they were all fine, but I know that my calcium levels in the bone could be depleted and that wouldn't show up in the test. She also says it's all down to stress and that I should have CBT. She is always frantically busy and will not answer any more questions until I've had the CBT, but I'd like to get help with looking after my teeth while all that goes on.

Do you think it's possible to get calcium supplements without vitamin D in them? Or perhaps a calcium supplement with a much smaller ratio of vitamin D to calcium than usual?

My normal supplement has:

Vitamin D 2.5µg (50% of RDA) -
    Calcium 400.0mg (50% of RDA)

I'd be keen to find one that had much more calcium or much less vitamin D.

Thanks!

JSP

I think maybe this is what I'm looking for:

http://www.vitastore.co.uk/joint-hea...sium-200mg-p43

http://www.healingteethnaturally.com...tivator-x.html

Perhaps a lack of vitamin k is making the calcium you do receive work poorly.

Can you see a different dentist? The reason I ask is that I know someone who had significant periodontal disease, and her dentist completely missed it.

If you are grinding your teeth, has the dentist prescribed a mouth guard? I have one and it makes a huge difference in the amount of grinding I (can) do. I have to say, it seems weird to me that it's your front teeth that are wobbling, if grinding is the cause- usually most of the grinding takes place in the back of your mouth, on your molars.

Also, what is CBT? Cognitive behavioral therapy, perhaps?

Hello :-)

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have a mouth guard but I've been having a lot of trouble tolerating it in my mouth. I've adjusted it a bit though and I'm hoping to wear it tonight.

I think I'm definitely okay for vitamin K. I have checked and all the green veggies I eat mean that I'm getting about 1000% of RDA.

I really think I should get back to the dentist to talk to him, but I've had a lot of other health problems since weaning as well, and I'm not yet quite ready to brave a trip to the dentist. I wish I could get back on my feet a bit quicker.

JSP

Have you had your thyroid tested in the past few years? Thyroid disfunction is common- I think it's the second most common endocrine disorder- and it is especially common in women, especially postpartum or as we age. And it can cause a huge variety of symptoms, including digestive issues and issues with periodontal disease and bone health (notably in the jaw area).