Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning before traveling without toddler - 18 months

Default Weaning before traveling without toddler - 18 months

Hi~
    I am currently BF-ing my 16 month old at morning wakeup time and bedtime only. We are both fine with how things are going (and I am still loving it)! But my husband and I are going away for a week at the end of August (she will be 18 months), so I feel like I should wean before I leave (very sad about this ).
    Does anyone have advice for me? Should I keep it going as-is and wean cold-turkey when I leave for my trip? Or should I start now any try to be done before I leave? I am worried about her feeling upset, but also worried about how my body will react if I just stop suddenly.
    I am sad about the situation, but also excited to have some time away with my husband and don't want this to get in the way.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Also, just a thought, if I hand express a bit each morning and evening (got rid of my pump at 1 year and not missing it!), would it be possible to have some supply when I got back and keep BF-ing? I don't even know how much milk I have left anyway, and I think most of our nursing is about bonding/comfort.
    Thank you!!

Default Re: Weaning before traveling without toddler - 18 months

I don't see any reason to wean. I've been on plenty of trips without my toddler (now 3 year-old) without needing to wean. For me, the easiest thing was to pump while I was away - morning and night worked for me, but that will vary. I would worry a little about hand expression alone being able to maintain supply over a week - not saying that won't work, but it would be a concern - so one thing to consider would be a relatively inexpensive manual pump.

If you do decide to wean, generally "cold turkey" is never a good idea. Since you don't think you have much milk left at this point, you might want to start a couple weeks before the trip, and first drop one of the sessions (whichever you and baby are least attached to), let a few days or a week go by, and then drop the other.

Default Re: Weaning before traveling without toddler - 18 months

Also, just a thought, if I hand express a bit each morning and evening (got rid of my pump at 1 year and not missing it!), would it be possible to have some supply when I got back and keep BF-ing?
    yes, I was going to suggest this if you are good at hand expressing (or can learn.) another alternative would be a small, inexpensive, single sided electric or manual pump. Even if baby weaned prior to the trip, there is no guarantee you would not become a bit full and want/need some relief anyway.

There is no reason to wean before a trip when you and your child still enjoy nursing. Baby may or may not abruptly wean due to the separation, but even if this occurs, you can treat it as a strike (which it would be) and try to gently encourage baby to nurse when you return. Keeping up your milk production by removing milk a couple times a day during your trip opens up the possibility of nursing your child for as long as you and baby wish.