Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 month old nurses a million times a day

Default 13 month old nurses a million times a day

My lovely, great-gaining 13 month old is an avid nurser. She nurses probably 8-10 times a day and (I'm kind of embarrassed to admit) through both naps and from 3-6am many nights. It's good. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it gets old -- particularly that 3-6am stretch. I know there's no "normal," but if I do nothing and just ride this out, when might she slow down? I really don't want to do mama-led night weaning, but I'm also a little jealous of those people who say they're only nursing their 1 year olds 4 or 5 times a day*.

*yes this question is prompted by a chance meeting with a nursing mom of an 8 month old at the grocery store this afternoon, and yes her baby only nurses 4 times a day now, and yes she seemed very well rested :/
    .... . . . . . . . . . . .
    Mom to baby born 11/18/13

Default Re: 13 month old nurses a million times a day

I don't know that it helps but my 12 month old feeds frequently during the day, latches 2-3 times per nap, has only just started a 3-4 hour night stretch again and then does the cluster feed thing in those wee hours.

I know she's probably on the 'high' end of normal but am happy to roll with it and reading your post means am not alone Tho I know 2-3 other mamas feeding through the night you're the first I can say still feeds during naps too. And yes I think of things I 'could' get done if she'd nap without me sometimes but I think that's just life, there's always things that 'could' be different when I compare my life to someone else's!

Oh this is so good to hear, another baby just like mine. She's almost 12 months and very high needs, sometimes I wonder if she's too attached... Everyone thinks I'm a little crazy for napping with her (she nurses a couple of times during naps or sometimes just suckles the whole time like it's her paci), but she'll only sleep 1 sleep cycle without me and if I leave it's hard sometimes to get her settled again so needless to say I don't really get much done. I'm frustrated though at times as I feel like we aren't getting the best sleep at night so I end up falling asleep for naps too. She nurses in rocker to sleep or I'll nurse her down in her crib and she falls asleep quickly for bed. I usually get a good 3-4 hour stretch then into bed with us she goes, for the rest of the night. Then it's nursing every 2-4 hours from there.... Sometimes it drives me crazy but I don't really know what else to do as she won't sleep on her own and she is so strong willed. We won't do cry it own and months ago we tried a little controlled crying because I felt at my wits end (I work part time) but that didn't work. I'm hoping slowly over time I can get her more used to her crib but I'm guessing she will be a long term cosleeper- maybe till 2-3 years or when the next baby comes as I'll be a little more impatient being pregnant I can imagine....

Oh and there's no telling how many times she nurses during the day!! Well usually when we wake up she has a good meal then 2 nap feeds then feed before bed- really long draining boob feeds. But that girl pops on and off a lot, esp if I am wearing something that exposes the nummies a little more, so I am her pacifier a lot..... I've heard they will do that esp as they become more independent. bSUA65 maybe you have a smaller supply? That could be a very normal reason and she may continue to feed a lot during day until you wean. I also know they don't necessarily NEED that much nursing by this age for nutritional reasons prob more for emotional needs. It's so hard not to compare yourself to other moms and their babies isn't it??
    Last edited by @llli*munchmama; December 9th, 2014 at 09:23 AM.

It's so nice to hear I'm not alone! I definitely have a smaller capacity – she nursed every 1-2 hours before solids. I guess I'm wondering when solids will start to make some significant portion of her calories. It's got to happen eventually, right? At this rate I don't see how another kid would ever be possible. :/
    .... . . . . . . . . . . .
    Mom to baby born 11/18/13

I was also jealous of people who said they only nurse once or twice at this point. I also wanted to return to my normal top sizes again and fit into all my dresses lol, but you know what? I'm happy I that I am fortunate enough to still be able to nurse my almost 14month old 6 times in 24 hours. I'm happy that he's getting what lots of other little babies aren't. I'm happy that when he has a cold or other ailment, he can snuggle up next to me at any time and nurse and actually get milk at any time of day. I don't feed during naps or before naps though. We have a schedule because I work full time - oh and these are all real nursing sessions, no bottles. I still feed him 2x a night - once before I go to bed (so I don't have to wake up for it) and once more a few hours later. People seriously think I'm insane when I mention I still wake up for him at night to nurse.

In fact, this weekend I found out I was pregnant and I was so excited but at the same time a bit sad that our breastfeeding relationship might end without him getting a say in the matter. Then today my HPTs showed I was no longer pregnant so it must have been a chemical pregnancy. Of course I'm devastated but a little part of me is happy that at least I'll still get to nurse him normally.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Oh gosh, rucciccio, I'm so sorry about your pregnancy loss. What an emotionally complicated experience. So many of us have been there, which only allows us to know that no one has been exactly where you are. Hugs!

I'm still probably nursing my almost 9 month old perhaps 15 times per day usually. We had such a hard time of it early on that I'm happy to keep up a large amount of nursing and hope we don't drastically reduce the nursing till well past his first birthday.

Munchmama am pretty sure I have a low storage capacity, that said she *can* go 3 hours between a feed if she is distracted but this is less now than it was.

As for calories from food my DD eats pretty well but it doesn't seem to change nursing, tho she doesn't really like drinking water - I guess milk tastes better

And yeah as said I don't really want to change anything. Plus I like having a daytime nap!

Im sorry ruchiccio, that must be so hard... I am not familiar with the abbreviation HPTs? Preg test? I had somewhat of a similar experience (just read your blog post about it) and thought I felt some changes and saw a faint line 5 or so min after and next test was negative... I always thought pos was pos...
    I agree about when the babies are having a rough time with a cold or in pain- it's so good to be able to soothe them with nursing!
    Last edited by @llli*munchmama; December 9th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.