Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how will supply be effected?

Default how will supply be effected?

I'm concerned about how my supply will be effected due to my new schedule. 3 days out of the week, not consecutive days, I don't breastfeed for about 9-10 hours. Before and after that separation, and days unseparated, I feed on demand, 7-9 at least, times in a 24h period. I don't pump. Will I maintain supply on a longterm basis?

Default Re: how will supply be effected?

How old is your baby? Is your baby eating solids normally if nursing 7-9 times a day?

I didn't find my supply diminishing when I started dropping sessions. He had enough whenever he wanted. Although if I'd be pumping I'm sure I wouldn't get very much.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

She is 13mo and eats three 'meals', and a snack or two (usually when i'm with her the snack ends up being nursing). She is a great little eater. I figured she would start nursing less as a result of the scheduling, which she has. So far supply is ok, maybe let down takes longer or she is getting impatient.

I work full time and pump weaned at around a year or 13 months with my three kids. I'm still nursing the youngest at age 2 years 10 months. We nurse on demand during non work hours. The one thing to watch out for is if you are usually nursing throughout the day, and then you're sporadically not nursing on some days, then you could get quite uncomfortable and, possibly, develop plugged ducts. (Though doesn't sound as if that has been the case?) Some people are more prone to plugged ducts than others. For me, I had especial difficulty with plugged ducts after pump weaning with the third (who in retrospect nursed more during my non-working hours compared to the other two), so I had to go back to pumping for a period of time - actually it was most pronounced after we went on vacation together for a week where she was doing lots of nursing. So, just be prepared to either hand express or possibly pump if you find you are getting too full or if there are any problems with plugged ducts. Some moms do choose to continue pumping into toddlerhood to maintain supply, also.

I got very many plugged ducts while nursing exclusively (before giving solids) but once my baby started nursing less, I never get them. I never feel uncomfortable if i go even 12 hours without nursing, so that might not even be the case by you. It's fine to work things differently on different days of the week. I was with my baby Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and we followed a totally different feeding schedule than what we had on the days I worked.

Mom to Samuel J.

nursing frequency has decreased a little on days home now bc of new schedule. It's ok though.

I want to cut out the two middle of the night feeds ...i think. I'm wondering will my supply practically diminish though? It'd be ideal to feed am and pm before and after work on work days, with no restriction during days home but I wonder if that is an unrealistic idea. Maybe I should fall into a little more predictable pattern for my body's sake.

thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usafreat View Post
    It'd be ideal to feed am and pm before and after work on work days, with no restriction during days home
    This is what I do. I don't think it's unrealistic. I'm a bit "fuller" the day after lots of nursing but not to the point of discomfort. (Although when my LO was the age of yours I was having the plugged duct issue I mentioned, but it doesn't sound like that's been a problem for you.)

As far as supply going down if you cut out nighttime feeds, I suppose it depends on whether baby nurses more at other times. And how much it really matters if supply does drop. The rule of thumb is if a toddler is nursing 3-5 times in 24 hours, she's getting enough milk. So if she's still nursing in that range without the nighttime feedings, from a nutritional standpoint it's probably okay even if your supply drops somewhat. Of course there are other reasons to nurse besides the nutritional one, but the overall point is that after a year, unless there is some issue with growth, you can be a bit more relaxed about supply. (Sometimes requires a bit of a shift in mentality...) Especially if baby is enthusiastic about solids - some are, some aren't at 13 months. How is your baby doing with solids?

It is true--it is a change mentally, I am constantly questioning myself now and plus I think I have this fear of all of a sudden not having any milk left if I try and let go of feeds at nighttime).

She eats well, and very balanced in my opinion. In addition to breastfeeding she eats three 'meals' (for dinner and lunch I would say she eats around a cup or more of food depending on what it is or how hungry she is)... and usually a snack or two (snack is breastfeeding if I am with her) and has water available to her if she wants it.

For the past two nights, I succeeded without any problem cutting the feeds. I figured if she got noisy or cried out about it I would nurse. We'll see if that lasts. This was a difficult decision because of the new schedule I am worried she doesn't feed enough. But, I began to notice that these feeds were disturbing her sleep and seemed like more out of habit.

In 24hrs she feeds 4/5 times on average on the separation days, normal day maybe 7/8 times. I don't notice as much fullness anymore since it has leveled out. Kind of sad too though.
    So far so good regarding plugged ducts. We don't want to give her dairy yet so I make sure to feed enough too.

It is true--it is a change mentally, I am constantly questioning myself now and plus I think I have this fear of all of a sudden not having any milk left if I try and let go of feeds at nighttime).
    Same! Supply is something I've always stressed about since my supply fluctuated wildly depending on the hormone of the day and I never knew what tomorrow would bring. Once I cut out feeds I was super-worried, but it really did not matter to my baby because he upped his food intake, which is what I wanted. Once he turned 13-14 months I became so much more relaxed about nursing because I know that without my nursing, he gets whatever he needs from the dairy, milk and solids he eats during the day. So whenever he wants to nurse (or I want to nurse him) it's completely extra and no pressure. FINALLY breastfeeding became fun and stress-free

I don't feed at night and it didn't make a difference to my nursing by day. I nurse upon awakening for the day, before bedtime, and once sometime around 5-6am. Nursing sessions used to be a fast let's-do-this kind of nursing for my baby where he'd suck very well and take advantage of the quick flow. Nursing was max 5 minutes. But now it's more of a leisurely going-out-for-coffee type of nursing that lasts 7-15 minutes (flow is somewhat slower than it used to be). I much prefer this type!

Mom to Samuel J.

She eats well, and very balanced in my opinion. In addition to breastfeeding she eats three 'meals' (for dinner and lunch I would say she eats around a cup or more of food depending on what it is or how hungry she is)... and usually a snack or two (snack is breastfeeding if I am with her) and has water available to her if she wants it.

For the past two nights, I succeeded without any problem cutting the feeds. I figured if she got noisy or cried out about it I would nurse. We'll see if that lasts. This was a difficult decision because of the new schedule I am worried she doesn't feed enough. But, I began to notice that these feeds were disturbing her sleep and seemed like more out of habit.

In 24hrs she feeds 4/5 times on average on the separation days, normal day maybe 7/8 times. I don't notice as much fullness anymore since it has leveled out. Kind of sad too though.
    So far so good regarding plugged ducts. We don't want to give her dairy yet so I make sure to feed enough too.
    Sounds like your toddler is doing great! And keep in mind that the process of cutting back on nursing is not linear. As in, there will still be times with more or less nursing depending on what else is going on. Developmental stages, separation, teething or whatever else may lead to spurts of more nursing, which then may decrease again. Or you may have times when you are more or less into nursing. And your supply will go up and down along with your toddler. As ruchiccio says though it's really nice to be able to just relax and enjoy it and not worry so much anymore about supply!