Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think my baby was choking today :(

Default I think my baby was choking today :(

I was giving her cheerios when eating lunch today after church. My dad was sitting across from us and I wasn't paying attention. All of a sudden she was bouncing in my lap. I'm not thinking anything and my dad says, "Are you happy or upset?" to the baby. So, that catches my attention and I look at her and she is red, then immediately makes that gagging face and gags up the cheerio. I don't know if she wasn't breathing or for how long, if it was a big deal or not, but at the time it freeeaked me out and now I'm scared to feed her, especially cheerios. She can pick them up pretty well but has trouble getting them in her mouth on her own, so I usually help her out, but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't help, maybe she's not ready for them. Or maybe it was just a fluke.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: I think my baby was choking today :(

Yeah, I think I'll hold off for a bit and stick with the softer-cooked foods.

mama. I'm so glad she's ok.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

most babies have a very good gag reflux!
    have you taken a cpr class that might help, then you'll know how to help
    baby if she does get into trouble!

I have taken an infant CPR class but it was almost three years ago now. I do think I could use a refresher.

I am so glad she is okay!!
    My DD choked on her vitamins when she was about 4-5 weeks old!! I am a nurse and everything and still ended up calling 911 and was totally freaked out. Her pediatrician say they need them but we never ever have tried them again!
    Hold off on them if you are freaked out! I just started giving my 8.5 mth old a few on her tray. The puffs are pretty soft but it may be a bit early for those too. The puffs I crush between my fingers then feed to her. Paisley also enjoys Baby Mum mums!
    Good luck and just wait now that you are scared!
    Mommy to two EBF Girls
    Ayna Marie 11-07-96 BF for 14mths
    Paisley Victoria 08-11-09 Still nursing

Cloth diapering for the 2nd time boy it gets easier after 13 years!!!

so glad she is ok! I didnt start cheerios until DD was about 10 months old, and then I broke them in half before giving them to her!

I am still crazy about the foods she gets as potential choking hazards!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

We did baby led solids and the underlying principle of BLS is that if baby can't take it from the tray and put it in her mouth then she's not ready for it. The theory is that if baby has mastered the pincer grasp it's more likely that she has mastered chewing and swallowing, kwim? I think your idea of offering softer foods is a good idea

I'm glad your LO is okay. It's scary when things like that happen
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    We did baby led solids and the underlying principle of BLS is that if baby can't take it from the tray and put it in her mouth then she's not ready for it. The theory is that if baby has mastered the pincer grasp it's more likely that she has mastered chewing and swallowing, kwim? I think your idea of offering softer foods is a good idea

I'm glad your LO is okay. It's scary when things like that happen
    I thinkk I'm going to stick with this principle even though I don't do total BLS, this baby seems to really like textures and chunks rather than purees. I think that's why I've found myself feeding her the chunks rather than making her feed herself. But, I'm not going to do that anymore:

Thanks for the sympathy ladies. I am really glad that this didn't happen when my first was a baby b/c I think it would have really made me on edge yk?