Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I gave her a (wheat) teething biscuit...

Default I gave her a (wheat) teething biscuit...

...now I'm wondering if it was too early to give her wheat. She's almost 7months and on the box (it was one of those Earth's Best ones) it says for 9 months and older but I thought that was more for the choking hazard aspect but I was right there with her and watching closely. But, now I'm reading that wheat shouldn't be introduced this early. So, I guess my question is, if she has no reaction, would you continue with the 3-5 day introduction? Should I give her one tomorrow too, or just stop now and hold off until 8 or 9 months? Is allergy the only concern or could it also be upsetting to her tummy?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: I gave her a (wheat) teething biscuit...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    ...now I'm wondering if it was too early to give her wheat. She's almost 7months and on the box (it was one of those Earth's Best ones) it says for 9 months and older but I thought that was more for the choking hazard aspect but I was right there with her and watching closely. But, now I'm reading that wheat shouldn't be introduced this early. So, I guess my question is, if she has no reaction, would you continue with the 3-5 day introduction? Should I give her one tomorrow too, or just stop now and hold off until 8 or 9 months? Is allergy the only concern or could it also be upsetting to her tummy?
    no Advice but I did let my mom give those to Silas when hewas 6-8 mos old we have no alergies but I am clueless
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; April 19th, 2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: geeze I swear I CAN type and SPELL correctly when I try
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

thanks, I was just coming back on to see if anyone replied. I think if it's just the allergy aspect, I've already given it to her (and so far no reaction) so I think I might as well just introduce it...

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Without a history of allergies I would go ahead.. I think it's more about the choking aspect (at least from the manufacturer).
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I was giving those to T when he was 6 months.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

a lot of the old waiting recommendations due to allergies are going out the window. so if your LO does not show any reaction and it's not a choking hazard, i wouldn't worry about it at all. i think my son's teething biscuits are wheat, and he's never had any problem (and i DO have a mild wheat allergy).
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tristansmiles View Post
    I was giving those to T when he was 6 months.
    I have started giving them to Will as well and he is 6 1/2 months.

A nutritionist told me that introducing wheat before 8 or 9 mos is linked with higher rates of obesity and that is one reason to delay its introduction.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.