Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using an SNS

Default using an SNS

Has anyone on here used an SNS? If so, did it help increase your milk supply? I just ordered and recieved the Medela SNS in the mail and I was wondering if it works well for increasing supply. Because my supply is low, the flow is slow and so my DD doesn't want to nurse for more than a minute or two. Then she gets frustrated and pulls off crying. I've been pumping after feedings but [I] thought that maybe the SNS would help even more. Anyone with any experience and tips?

Default Re: using an SNS

I used a homemade SNS when I was having supply issues with my newborn. I found it tricky to use, especially because it's hard to position the tube and the baby simultaneously! A piece of tape holding the tube down close to the nipple helped immensely.

A SNS can definitely help increase milk supply if it means that a baby who isn't hugely interested in nursing or would prefer a bottle will suddenly take all her feeds at the breast. The extra stimulation you get from the baby's suckling will help increase supply, even as she feeds from the tube. However, in my experience using a SNS is NOT a substitute for pumping: you need to combine the two.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I used one with my first kiddo...it did help. I had a similar problem with not enough milk to keep baby's attention and the SNS did help me keep the baby awake and eating. I will say that it was a little hard to use. Just remember to not get frustrated even though you want to scream. I found for me that when using the SNS, I would have baby latch then place the SNS tube in the corner of her mouth...this proved to be easier for me than the all at once technique. I have also found that a dropper works well to get baby to suckle (if you need another option). Just remember that you can do it mama!!
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A piece of tape holding the tube down close to the nipple helped immensely.

A SNS can definitely help increase milk supply if it means that a baby who isn't hugely interested in nursing or would prefer a bottle will suddenly take all her feeds at the breast. The extra stimulation you get from the baby's suckling will help increase supply, even as she feeds from the tube. However, in my experience using a SNS is NOT a substitute for pumping: you need to combine the two.
    with all of this. I remember responding to an earlier post of yours saying I successfully increased my supply back up after it went down in the course of 8 weeks after birth. The SNS helped us a lot, and yes, WITH all that pumping after / in between feedings.
    How are you and your LO doing?