Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using 2 different dates in one bottle?

Default Using 2 different dates in one bottle?

I have 3 oz from 4/20 and 2oz from 4/21, and my husband and I were wondering if we can combine them together in a bottle. I work out every morning and my husband spends that time bonding/feeding her.

I appreciate any answers!
    New here, hi!
    Mother to Hailey
    since 3/18/10

Default Re: Using 2 different dates in one bottle?

Definitely. I mix days all the time. I've mixed up to 4 different days before.

You need to make sure that you chill freshly pumped milk before adding it to milk already in the fridge. You can also add refrigerated milk to frozen milk (but I've always been afraid of spillage, so I usually thaw first if I need to do that). Make sure if you combine dates for future use/freezing that you use the oldest date as the date you write down for keeping track of how old it is.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I partly agree with the previous poster, although I'd be more cautious about adding cold to frozen (since it could partially thaw the frozen, and you're not supposed to thaw and refreeze) and less cautious about adding warm to cold (as long as you don't do it too much).

5 oz in one bottle sounds like a lot for breastmilk though - typically babies would be drinking less than that at a given sitting (about 1-1.5 ounces per hour). It's often a better idea to use smaller amounts per bottle, since that way if your baby doesn't finish the bottle, you haven't wasted the precious stuff. So my suggestion would be to just use the two smaller amounts one after the other. But I don't think it's a problem to combine them if that's what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I partly agree with the previous poster, although I'd be more cautious about adding cold to frozen (since it could partially thaw the frozen, and you're not supposed to thaw and refreeze) and less cautious about adding warm to cold (as long as you don't do it too much).

5 oz in one bottle sounds like a lot for breastmilk though - typically babies would be drinking less than that at a given sitting (about 1-1.5 ounces per hour). It's often a better idea to use smaller amounts per bottle, since that way if your baby doesn't finish the bottle, you haven't wasted the precious stuff. So my suggestion would be to just use the two smaller amounts one after the other. But I don't think it's a problem to combine them if that's what you want to do.
    Oh i do agree (5oz, too much) but he used it after I got home and took a shower too, she ended up drinking all 5 oz so no milk was wasted. I store it in bags 3oz at a time.

Oh I have another Q-- if I freeze milk do I put it directly into the freezer or do I chill it first in the fridge?
    New here, hi!
    Mother to Hailey
    since 3/18/10

I typically put directly into the freezer. If you're planning to do really long term storage, you might be wary of doing that too much though, since it will bring down the temperature of the freezer temporarily.

I use pumped milk every day (well, 5 days out of the week anyway), so I like to keep it as fresh as possible (i.e., not freezing it when I know I'm going to need it soon). I only freeze if it's been a week and he's not going to get it - which only happened during those honeymoon days of oversupply when I first went back to work.

So the answer to your question is yes, you can put it directly in the freezer, but conventional wisdom says give the "freshest" milk possible: directly from the breast > freshly expressed > expressed, refrigerated, warmed > expressed, frozen, thawed/warmed.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I guess I do it differently and my LO has never had any problems with it. I pump and put everything I pump into the freezer in 8oz bottles, we use the Playtex drop ins milk storage system. I date it and then pull out the oldest first. I just never wanted to be caught in that, 'it's almost 3 mos old, what to do now scenario.
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding

I always cooled and then froze it , like I would with any food I guess. Was the milk from 4/20 frozen?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language