Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: work, pump, and bf...Help

Default work, pump, and bf...Help

I am in need of some major help BF'ing and Pumping. DS is 15 weeks old, and exclusively bf for 12 weeks while I was off. I am back to work now, and think my supply is drying up. DS eats 12 oz while my MIL watches him (from 7-6). I never had a problem leaking after the first few weeks at home - and really didn't feel 'full' except when I would wake up after DS sleeping 6-8 hrs at night. Once I went back to work, I no longer had that 'full' feeling when I woke up in the morning. Now, when I nurse DS - he eats for a little bit, but then it is almost like fighting to get him to stay latched on. I have even tried nursing for almost 30 minutes on each side (with the fighting) and he still does not seem to be full. He will move his head away - partially latched (ouch) or push away with his arms. His diaper numbers are fine - so he seems to be getting enough, he just doesnt act full. I am at my wits end. I read about funegreek on Kellymom - which I started monday morning. I felt fuller this morning then I had in a while - but still only pumped 3 oz.

By the way, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (PCOS), and didn't know if this could be partially the reason for the pumping issue.

Using Medela Pump in style - 27 mm flange. When I pump - TMI - my nipple doesn't get 'longer' like when DH nurses - even when I used the 24 mm flange.

My day goes like this:

4:30 am - pump - 15 minutes = 2-3 oz

5-6 shower and eat breakfast - 3 - 610mg funegreek + prenatals +1000mg magnesium

6:15-6:45 Nurse

10 AM - Pump 15 minutes 2-3 oz

12:00 Lunch - 3-610 mg Funegreek

2 PM - Pump 15 minutes 2-3 oz

6 pm - nurse

7 pm - eat supper 3-610 funegreek

9:30 pm ish nurse/pump depending on if DS falls asleep and can't be woke up - sleeps like a log - with a cute little snore somethimes

10 - small snack and 3-610 mg funegreek.

I am getting just enough to feed him the next day - but have no freezer reserves. I really wanted to go the first year, but I am afraid I won't make it. I am going to keep going with the Fenugreek for 3 weeks, then make a decison (unless I dry up before then). Any help or advice would be great!!

Default Re: work, pump, and bf...Help

Your pumping output looks great to me! If his wet/poopy diapers are good I'm guessing your body is regulating your milk output.
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*myworld898 View Post
    Your pumping output looks great to me! If his wet/poopy diapers are good I'm guessing your body is regulating your milk output.
    That looks really good for 15 weeks! You could add a session in the afternoon (either at noon or at four) but what does your night look like- is lo eating through the night? Does the person giving the bottle during the day say you aren't giving enough? I didn't have a freezer stach with ds and I did have to supplement at 9 months, but I only had to add an ounce or two to his bm bottle to help make up the difference. But for now, get all thoughts of supplementing out of your head, you are doing a wonderful job!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Well, his diaper count seems to be fine. It just worries me that he doesn't seem 'full' when we are done nursing. I let him hang on for a while after he is done 'dringking' but as soon as I go to burp him, or take him off for good - he SCREAMS!! Not to mention my MIL keeps pushing to have some formula 'incase' he gets super hungry before I get home. She said that he may have a big appitite like his daddy and grandpa. But this is also the place where they empty out any food still out for supper onto my hubby's plate - like he is the garbage disposal. And they wonder why they are all overweight and have high cholestrol. At least we don't eat like that, and hubby is a runner, so he can keep the weight off.

ds sleeps from 10 until 6 when i wake him up through the week. Sometimes on the weekends he will sleep until 7-8 am but I still get up and pump before hand. If I don't pump in the morning on Sat and Sun, I am struggeling to get enough pumped for the whole week. Atleast with those two extra days, I am far enough along that I don't stress as much. I was just expecting to get a whole bottle amount at each pumping session.

Between my original post and this one, I started my period. Took me by suprise. I don't know if that has anything to do with DS being cranky, and not eating well or not. I guess we will see once it ends.

are you taking birth control pills? they can sometimes effect supply
    I just ask cause you were talking about getting a period?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    are you taking birth control pills? they can sometimes effect supply
    I just ask cause you were talking about getting a period?
    Yes, I am on Camilla. It is suppose to be estrogen free. Basically it is protection, and to help with pcos. I have been on it since 8 weeks pp.

I have PCOS and my DS STTN. So I get up once in the middle of the night to pump. I may not need it, and could possibly do without it but I want to be able to BF until 1 year. I really don't want to use formula, it's too expensive. Anyway I like being able to open the freezer and see my "stash" and know that if he gets "super hungry" DH can just thaw some milk! I also don't pump anywhere close to what he eats while I'm away. He eats ~15 oz. I pump 4.5 oz in one 8 hour shift. So I pump everyday, after almost every feeding when I'm home. This way I make what I need when I'm at work. It's time consuming but I don't mind.

HTH
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding