Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freestyle vs. PISA vs. Swing - Help!

Default Freestyle vs. PISA vs. Swing - Help!

Hi ladies,

I am going back to work when my LO will be 8 months. I have never really pumped (only had a hand pump that I used infrequently). I have been using my friend's Swing once a day, but I am worried that a single electric won't be enough for pumping and working (I will be away from LO for about 8.5 hours, 5 days a week).

So, I am wondering if I really should get a double electric (seems like a lot of $$$ but maybe worth it - I don't know?).

If so, which pump do you think is better, the Freestyle or PISA? I have really liked the Swing, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Default Re: Freestyle vs. PISA vs. Swing - Help!

IMO if you're pumping several times a day at work then you should get a double electric AND get set up to be able to pump "hands free". I use an "easy expressions bustier".

I've had both a PISA and a Freestyle. I think they're pretty similar. I think the biggest advantage of the Freestyle is that it's smaller and designed to be used mostly on a rechargeable battery. Smaller means a little less hassle schlepping pump to work and back. Battery power means you can get up and walk around while pumping.

There's a thread around somewhere about the Freestyle - I'll try to find it and bump it for you.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks!

I think I am going to get the Freestyle, but I am now desperately trying to find it cheap. I live in Canada so it's like, $100 more than in the US, so all that much more $$$.

Thanks again, mama.
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Everything is different for different people, but I would like to weigh in here.

I had an old PISA from a friend that I now have to give back. In advance of that, I bought a Freestyle online b/c I had read so many good things about it. The ONLY thing I like about it is its size and portability. I hated the soft-fit shields (they rubbed a raw place on my areola), and it took me twice as long AT LEAST to get the same amount or less of milk.

Thank goodness another friend of mine who had just stopped pumping gave me her (newer) PISA, and I've never looked back.

Point being, that if there is any way you could try out these different pumps (they are single-user items, so you would have to know someone personally), then I would try that. I have another friend w/ the FS who exclusively pumps and loves it. So, different strokes for different folks, you know?

Also, I ordered my pump and all accessories from www.nursingmothersupplies.com I don't know if they ship to Canada. HTH!

ETA: I can't recommend strongly enough to get a double-electric pump if you are going to be working full time.
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; April 23rd, 2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I confess I'm using the freestyle with the "rigid" breastshields. I tried both and like the rigid ones better. I still had then around from my last time pumping so am using them with the freestyle.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)