Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6-12 months combining BFing and solids: how?

Default 6-12 months combining BFing and solids: how?

My DS is approaching 6 months and I would like him to start trying food AND keep breastfeeding as well until 12 months.

A friend has said it's good to introduce one solids meal a day each month for 8 months -- but she is having trouble doing this with her own DD as she so strongly prefers the breast. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have no idea where to start -- we're first time parents -- any books or suggestions welcome. THANKS!

Default Re: 6-12 months combining BFing and solids: how?

There are many opinions on this. I started all my kids out on rice cereal, mixed with BM, once a day, about 2 tablespoons dry measure of cereal. When they got good at eating this amount from the spoon, I gave two cereal feedings a day. Watch how your LO does with the spoon. If most of the cereal comes back out onto their chin, they aren't ready. Try again once every few days to check what their mouth is doing at that point. Introduce it by putting a little cereal onto their lips first. Feed only until they show you they've had enough by turning away, spitting it out, or acting bored. Only put the spoon in if they open up. At all other times, BF on demand as usual. There is no hurry to add anything more. Babies do not crave variety -- after all, they've been eating the same thing their whole life! I kept mt latest LO on cereal alone for three weeks, then added bananas, applesauce, and pears. I will not add anything more for a couple more weeks. JM2C

with the PP. There are so many differing opinions on solids! I personally like what my pediatrician said when DD was starting solids: "Until the first birthday, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and oral motor skills. They're not necessary for nutrition because breastmilk or formula provides everything the baby needs."

By 8 months I knew I was going to nurse as long as my DD wanted, so solids were easy for us. I just let her self-feed and transition to a majority-solids diet at her own speed, something which didn't happen until she was well over a year old. If you're planning to wean more or less exactly at 1 year, you may want to pursue a more regimented course so that when you wean, your baby is already eating a good diet of solid food.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aborden23 View Post
    My DS is approaching 6 months and I would like him to start trying food AND keep breastfeeding as well until 12 months.

A friend has said it's good to introduce one solids meal a day each month for 8 months -- but she is having trouble doing this with her own DD as she so strongly prefers the breast. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have no idea where to start -- we're first time parents -- any books or suggestions welcome. THANKS!
    All kids are different - my girl is still breastfeeding but really loves her solids too. I try to keep offering things that are new, different, and visually and texturally stimulating and some days she hates it and some days she loves it... and she keeps changing her mind about what she hates and loves.

We used the "Baby Led Weaning" approach (some here call it "Baby Led Solids" as it is about introducing solids, not really about weaning - but if you are going to search info on it, search Baby Led Weaning to get more stuff)... It allowed my girl to experiment a lot with foods, and play and enjoy it. It isn't for everyone, but it is a fun alternative to the spoon feeding method, and she really enjoys the experience (as do I). We started at one meal a day and just in the last week have started introducing the third meal (by 8 months, my kid wouldn't let us eat in front of her without offering her something).
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!